Mercury?

H
HeliosPrime
Hi guys. I'll be moving to Oregon over the summer (from Texas) and plan on taking advantage of the fact that I can actually go outside during the summer without being incinerated and have decided to take up fishing again.

That being said, back in the way back when I fished with my dad, we used to mainly eat what the caught. The only time we released stuff is when he was fishing for tournaments. I haven't done any fishing in Texas, just because it's too dang hot out here most of the time.

I'm curious if any of you guys keep track of the mercury content in the fish you catch (if you plan on eating them) and if there are better or worse places/species for keeping levels down? Is this even something you worry about in the least?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

p.s.
Not sure how Oregonians feel about people moving to "their" state, so I apologize in advance if my moving offends anyone :lol:. I know some people in Texas can be kinda snooty when it comes to people moving into "their" state. :naughty:

E
eugene1
Mercury levels depends on where you fish. Where are you going to move to?

Welcome in advance,

H
HeliosPrime
eugene1 said:
Mercury levels depends on where you fish. Where are you going to move to?

Welcome in advance,

Portland/OHSU area.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Salmon and Steelhead in Portland won't have any mercury to worry about. I have two friends who work at OHSU. Portland has lots of fishing opportunities.

congrats,

P
plumb2fish
The ODFW has a list of bodies of water that are considered "problematic". It tells you pollutant, body of water and portion size/frequency....This info can be found in the 2012 fishing synopsis...Welcome to the forum and Oregon

H
HeliosPrime
Great. Thanks guys. I'll also check out the ODFW site!