Mckenzie River wading

F
FishBurger
Hello all, been a voyeur here for a while: first time posting.

I am looking to do some wading/fly fishing on The McKenzie, and I was hoping to find out (1) how high up do i need to go to be able to wade freely, and (2) are there any great places to park my rig, and have good bank access to a nice set of seems?

I live in Eugene, and have been up as high as Mckenzie River Golf Course. I have no problem going higher, I just don't know the river above there.

F
FishBurger
So... I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Is there anyway to move this?

B
bigdog
FishBurger said:
So... I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Is there anyway to move this?

Welcome to the forum for starters. You can't move it but I'm sure one of the admins will take care of that for you. Sorry though I don't have any info on that river for you though.

N
nwkiller
go up past blue river res. There is tons of nice water up there and should be good for wadeing

N
nwkiller
infact right across the street from there is a good parking spot on the river is a steep little hike but the water is magnafic

T
Thuggin4Life
I would just drive up ther and pull over where ever you can and do some exploring. maybe even try to fish above some of the reservoirs up there.

F
FishBurger
Thanks for the info. Is Blue river a good place to start looking for spots, or is there some better starting place? It looks like the bank access from there up is all pretty good, based on my googleMaps reconnoissance, is that generally correct?

N
nwkiller
i think that it is a good place to start, because there is a lot of deeper water below there and ull have a better chance to wade

S
steelheadstalker31
I would be cautious wading in the Mackenzie no mater where you are. It is a very powerful river. I don't know what the upper reaches look like, but there is plenty of current to get yourself in trouble around Blue River.

N
nwkiller
agreed!

J
JodysaHoser
All of the boat ramps have good accessablitiy. Check out River Maps for Oregon published by Amato. I kiss that thing goodnight and fluff it's pillow for it. The Mckenzie is well defined in that publishment.