Mckenzie River below Leabur Dam

B

bluefoxfan

Fished the gravel bar below Leaburg Dam along with 17 other people. We got there early, otherwise we would have headed somewhere else. The fishing was real slow. Not a strike or sign of fish. We were just about to head out when my green and black Blue Fox spinner found this 28" steelie. Nice way to close out a very crowded fishing trip.

B

Bohemian

Nice fish! :clap::clap::clap:...and your timing is good.You didn't want to show off too early in the day in front of the whole group :lol:

J

JeannaJigs

Know exactly where you are standing. It's a productive stretch but I'd rather not fish it, too many people, as you are aware lol. Nice fish.

D

Dementedfish

Nice catch. Just a quick question, what pound line do people generally use while fishing for steelhead in rivers like this?

J

JeannaJigs

Nice catch. Just a quick question, what pound line do people generally use while fishing for steelhead in rivers like this?
my two cents--8 pound main, with a 6 pound fluoro leader, sometimes when it drops super low i'll drop to 4# leader around August, just my personal preference. The mac is super clear so light gear goes a long way.

D

Derek

I agree 8 or 6 lb leader on the mckenzie. Went last week and the moss sure has shown up early this year I was surprised to see that much moss already. Nice fish though.

C

chodathug

Nice Work! Beautiful fish!!!
Man I love the Mckenzie river - that's funny...I caught my first steelhead 10 years ago basically right where you are standing.