Making weights

L
loves2troll
I ve been getting lead from my uncle he is a roofer and now that I have 5 pounds I started making some weights . I do not have a mold so what I did was get a 1/2 drill bit and a 18" 2x4. Drilled a hole through the 2x4 at one end. Get a deep set socket and a regular extention, slide extention through hole in 2x4 place socket on top. Start bbq, place lead in tin can "soup can". Take out grill before or with pryers. Pinch can so it will be easy to pour,then place in direct flames on high.. put some water in a small bowl get out some big swivles.. whel lead is melted pour the lead slowly enough not to spill but quick enough it won't dry on side of can....now the most important part imedietly after you pour lead grab a big swivle and insert it into the lead half way with plyers ...be quick cause the lead dries quick only about 5 second gap...... wait 20 sec and take socket off extention. With plyers!!!!! and place in water .. wait 1 min. Remove trim with. Razor...... tips. Use eye protection lead is molton and one mistake will. Make you blind where sweater and gloves.. next I make 6 ounce salmon weights from a deep set 19 mm socket. put the 2x4 on counter with socket over hanging floor or ground" socket side up obousley to pour in. If lead looks like there is ashes in tin can get somthing flat and scrape it off the surface of molton lead with ease Get a 20 dollar scale from pawn shop and trim weights or get bigger sockets or smaller wider you have every size mold you need if you have a deep set socket set. Lead pops and spits be careful and have fun be safe and saftey sun reading glasses!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Sound like a lot of work, but very inovative. I used to do something like that a few years back when makeing weights for halibut fishing. I made mold out of wood, not a good idea, and used a soup can over a crab cooker to melt the lead. I ended up finding some real molds at garage sales, and Englunds marine supply. My next best step was a Lee electric melter. Man what a difference. Now I make weights and can relax. Before every pour was an adventure. I do agree with all your safety advice, glasses, gloves ect!

J
JeannaJigs
Mmmm carcinogens. I have a ton of lead laying around and have had great intentions of turning it into jigs...but have never actually done it.

T
TJR_84
I work for a Chevy Cadillac/ Toyota Scion/ Subaru I collect all the old tire weights and pour my own. I use a cast iron pot and and crab cooker burner to heat and melt. Real molds work best and are by far safer!!!

L
loves2troll
IMG_20121031_005526.jpg here is some finished and some fresh new socket weights

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
cool looking weights!

K
Kokonuts
Pouring lead for weights or anything can be fun But watch out for WATER! Do Not keep it any where close to molten lead!

When water turns to Steam it expands 17,000 times, a single drop can EMPTY a 10 pound can of molten lead in a flash!

I have poured lead bullets for many years and I have seen the results, its not a pretty picture.

Kokonuts