Made some kids day today.

B
bigthackara
I went out again today to try for some more trout, I had good action all morning again. After my first spots I ran into a couple young boys fishing with bobbers and nightcrawlers not having any luck. They insisted I fish with them, so i wade across and fished next to where they were. I had a couple fish come off right as i was getting them to me. The little boy was super excited, and asked if I caught anything, could he take it back to camp to show his parents. I said we'll see, hoping maybe I could catch a hatchery fish and give it to him. I went up to the next run biding farewell to my young friends. I caught a fish and they boy was shouting at me to keep it, I did the whole oops it fell out of my hands bit.

See I really don't like harvesting wild trout even though it is legal where I fish most the time. Especially when they are rainbows as they get bigger and provide better size and the bigger ones fight a lot harder than the big cutties. I went another 100 yds upstream and began fishing. I had a few trout to hand. I set the hook on something next cast and it came running at me, crazy trout I thought.... Then all hell broke loose.....

A brutal battle with a really large fish ensued. Huge line ripping runs on my 6 wt, up the river, jumps, down river, death rolls, you name it. Somehow she didn't throw the hook... possie bugger is just too irresistible for summer steelies.
20120824095104.jpg

the boys came running up river once they saw I had landed a "monster". i tagged it and gave him the hatchery trout I was looking for! :)
20120824095146.jpg

They were stoked, definitely made their camping trip!

Reactions: GDBrown, Throbbit _Shane, SeanC and 4 others
T
TTFishon
Way to go!!! I need to start hittin that system more.

C
ChezJfrey
Ha! Nice surprise for both you and them.

You're probably known as the fishing god to those boys after catching that 'monster' trout. Nice generosity, sir :)

B
bigsteel
great post man!!!!!!!!!!!!!those kids will remember that for a long time

T
TimberTodd
Great day for all of you! Thanks for sharing it.

J
JeannaJigs
Freakin' rad

L
lilsalmon
very nice fish and excellent choice handing it off to the boys.....:clap:

troutdude
troutdude
You da man! It's great to see a fellow OFFer, being so nice and generous to the younger generation. Well played (on all counts).

N
ninja2010
i really, really enjoyed that. thank you.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
SeanC
Really cool. Great catch, but even better that you did the kids like that. Good karma for you.

C
collegekidusa
Super Cool!!! Good to know there are good people out there, you made those kids day!!! :D

G
GDBrown
This is a nice thread! lets have some more like it.....

Oh, and it was nice of you to catch a Hatchery trout for them to take back to camp...

C
ChezJfrey
Speaking of which...inspired by this thread, I tried to pull a bigthackara :)

I was approached, on my way out of McIver yesterday, by a young couple driving by me just as I was packing my steelhead into my car. They rolled their window down and apologized for bothering me, but their son wanted to see my fish and would I mind? I laughed and said, "Sure!" I pulled it out as their wide-eyed son gazed at it...then I asked if they wanted it. I guess they were not too crazy about dealing with a fish in their tidy vehicle because they declined...but hey, I tried, eh? LOL

B
bigthackara
ChezJfrey said:
Speaking of which...inspired by this thread, I tried to pull a bigthackara :)

I was approached, on my way out of McIver yesterday, by a young couple driving by me just as I was packing my steelhead into my car. They rolled their window down and apologized for bothering me, but their son wanted to see my fish and would I mind? I laughed and said, "Sure!" I pulled it out as their wide-eyed son gazed at it...then I asked if they wanted it. I guess they were not too crazy about dealing with a fish in their tidy vehicle because they declined...but hey, I tried, eh? LOL

Yeah, the kids parents were on my mind when I gave those guys that steelie, I guess I was assuming since the boys looked like pretty experinced fisherman that their parents could handle dealing with a big fish. Part of me was thinking the parents would be less than thrilled to gut out the fish.

Good for you for trying to pass the steel!