Lower Umpqua December chromers

M
marko
Fished around elkton on the umpqua . Side drifted for about 8 hours and caught 8 steelhead. Bob Cobb river guide took my son and I and we learned a lot. Now the idea is that my son can now take me down the river in our drift boat. I am sure we will not do as well but I do think we have a better idea of how to catch these beautiful creatures. We sure did have a good time. Largest fish was a 33 inch chromer in about the 12 pound class. Water level was low , about 3.5 feet ,and clear but the fish hit fairly hard . If you want to learn some techniques , I can recommend this river guide out of reedsport. He is mindful of river safety and boating etique and willing to explain things to those of us who have limited experience. I am sure a lot of the guides in oregon would do the same Any way---fish are there so go get them!

E
eugene1
Nice work, good you and the boy got out to that beautiful river! Do you have any pics of the steel and how many were hatchery? Seems like there is a healthy run of nates down there.

O
Ozzieb
Glad to hear you had a good time, and nice catches
Tip, on YouTube search ffsbc's. Its the freshwater fisheries society of British Columbia
. Great videos on all types of fishing. Particularly the salmon steelhead videos. Even though it's in BC and they have
Major steelhead and steelhead runs different than ours. The techniques and the way the catch them is the Same. You
Learn a lot from them,and can use them on any river in Oregon and catch fish. Oz

F
Fish a holic
I've fished with Bob Cobb several times he's awsome, great teacher and very personable, he's always got a story. I'm glad you guy's had fun and learned some tricks. Now go practice! Don't get discouraged if you don't have the same results and don't be afraid to call Bob with a question.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's a fantastic day! Did you float from the RV park to the take out on the other side of the river about 6 miles down stream? We saw a bunch of boats coming down that stretch the other day.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I love that river! I even took an unexpected dip in it one time...filled my waders. Still love it!

M
marko
Yes and Yes

Yes and Yes

Raincatcher said:
I love that river! I even took an unexpected dip in it one time...filled my waders. Still love it!

Yes Janisonance, that is the correct drift. Yes all the fish were wild. Will try to get some pics up later in the week so if you want to see them earlier, then you must get a couple yourself. You will not regret going.

E
eugene1
Cool, I love that run and we'll be checking it out later this week.

Wasn't trying to pressure you on the pics, but just enjoy seeing steelhead.

Thanks,

M
marko
I do not know how to post the pics but do have some to post when I get some help . Will have some kids around this weekend so I am sure they can get them posted. Have a good time on the umpqua! I do like that river.