Looking for some good Salmon fishing - help me pick a place!

D
dustfan01
I fished for Salmon a few years ago in Alaska. This time I want to fish closer to home. (North Carolina). I would like to try the Copper River, but am quite confused...so here I am. Saw a website about "Perry's" I think. Seemed affordable, but thought I would log in here and take recommendations from folks who have fished recently in the area. Ideas are appreciated!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
A bit south of Oregon

A bit south of Oregon

dustfan01 said:
I fished for Salmon a few years ago in Alaska. This time I want to fish closer to home. (North Carolina). I would like to try the Copper River, but am quite confused...so here I am. Saw a website about "Perry's" I think. Seemed affordable, but thought I would log in here and take recommendations from folks who have fished recently in the area. Ideas are appreciated!

dustfan01;
Welcome to our little slice of heaven. Why heaven? Where else would you find so many friendly fisher folk willing to help with all aspects of fishing? It also helps that we truly believe we are living in God's country.
Guess it's my turn to be confused. I am not aware of any other members from your beautiful state. But, I have been known to be wrong in the past and could certainly be wrong this time. The good news is that we probably do have someone here that can help you out. It just might not be from fishing the area recently. Check out the rest of the posts in this section by clicking on the topic name, you will find page after page of questions and answers. Enjoy it all. Be safe.
Barb

H
halibuthitman
salmon

salmon

Well that all depends on the kind of salmon you want, so if a generic answer is in order I would have to say tillmook bay, any of its tribs, or the lower columbia and youngs bay area... for chinook, hammond/warrenton for coho, but if you can travel on short notice, are very talented close qaurters angler and love insanity... hit gnat creek in the peak of its king run... simply amazing, I would take it over the copper, or the kenai on any day!! But there are much more famous waters in southern Oregon so Im sure you will hear a lot of options. Good luck!

"most my money I spent on beer, boats and trucks.... the rest of it I wasted"

G
grampa ron
Salmon Fishing

Salmon Fishing

If I were you, living in NC, I would probably go to the the Great Lakes for salmon. It's much closer and from what I can tell, from watching fishing show on the tube, it's probably better.

R
Razz
Rogue in Aug should have fish it's a ZOO nothing like AK

Y
youngbuck307
i was lucky enough to flot the rogue from the scenic part were you have to have a permit to be on.i was only 8 but i will remember them 3 trips for the rest of my life. just to bad the guy that use to take me passed away

S
steelheadstalker31
The great lake fishing is a lot better than what we have around hear. The down side is they aren't very big and you don't want to eat them. I used to fish the Salmon river and Oswego rivers in New York st. and we had 20 fish days on Chinook regularly, but again, not very tasty:( If you were looking for a guide out that way check out catchthedrift.com

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha, I have actually fish the Oswego more than a handful of times... And I have fished along side the "Catchin The Drift," DB while they had their cameras rollin. We did get into probably 200-300 fish the 20 or so times I have fished it, but mostly it was Steelhead fishin, and a few trips of boot Salmon fishin. Some fresher Steelhead aren't bad to eat, but the Chinook, and Coho on that side of the continent are just boot-tacular. Good to fight for a minute, but they are pretty tired fish.

B
BobberDown
well dont over look the rivers in southern oregon and nother cali like the chetco with a 5 to 10 fish dy on 25 to 30 pound avrage nooks and some into the 50 and 60 beng taken each year not a bad bet i grew up on th cetco and the smith right across the border in cali same thing 25 to 30 pound avrage with a 5 to 10 fish day being a grate day the only down side to the smith is if the water gets low they close it because the fish hold in about 5 of the deephole down low and it is a sloter house then that i when we would got to the chetco to fish it does have the trophy potenshal to rival the keani in ak with the smith record being 82 punds i persaly landed a 56 when i was 12 years old and my dad put one that was 72 in the boat in his 25 years of guiding on that river that was about 15 years ago now and things have changed but they still kill 50 and 60 every year down there to grate rivers you fish with in 2 to 20 miles of the ocoin they are nice fish and never dark unless they get traped low in the river from low water other than that they are in there spawnding growndes by the time tey start to turn oh and the klamith is good to just about 30 miles down for the oregon border into cali i hope this info helps good luke Dan

B
BobberDown
if i did not menchshoin i have not fished there in 6 years so i dont know wha it is like now but i know that both those rivers you can still keep one native steelhead and one hatchery in a day and you can still keep native chinnok because they are maily native nooks there nt to menchion the elk and the sixes rivers the elk is supost to havethe most nooks per mile than any other river in or but if you are going to travle tat far go to alaska !!!!!!!!!!! i know i would