Looking for help with winter steelhead fishing techniques

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
halibuthitman said:
Dont underestimate the blog, you will be suprised how well it grows if you have good content, but photos, a blog must have good photos. My blog and facebook page gets thousands of views a month, and im suprised to look at my stats and see i have loyal readers all over the world. Ive also recieved emails asking about places ive fished and been able to help people put together trips of a lifetime, very rewarding. Remember, a winner never quits.. And a quiter never wins-

Thanks! I will keep it up as long as I can! I appreciate the support. I liked and shared your Facebook page as well on a few of my pages.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Good response Wes.

I still have to get you in the boat before winters are over...Keep plugging away and if you got questions on set ups etc you got my number.

Tanner, Im dying to get out I have been lookin for the text! We will get out there bro, eventually. No rush anyways

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Throbbit _Shane said:
He isn't selling or trading anything... And his "website" is more of a blog that is about his fishing adventures. Perhaps you should worry about your negative attitude more then members trying to get some help at catching their fist Steelhead. Just my 2 cents...

Shane, I shared a few of your blog posts.

O
OnTheDrop
ModernOutdoorSportsman said:
Tanner, Im dying to get out I have been lookin for the text! We will get out there bro, eventually. No rush anyways

Clack really starts to heat up the next two months. I'll be in touch when things mellow out for me.

L
Leon Fish
ModernOutdoorSportsman said:
...just moved in from Missouri and I am an avid Bass Fisherman...

Nice. Where from in Missouri?

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Leon Fish said:
Nice. Where from in Missouri?
Springfield Southwest area, you familiar?

L
Leon Fish
Only somewhat - I grew up in KC and went to Springfield a few times over the years. If I recall, thats where the original Bass Pro was.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Cool, yes. We have the Origninal Bass Pro and I miss it. Cabelas is nice though.
Leon Fish said:
Only somewhat - I grew up in KC and went to Springfield a few times over the years. If I recall, thats where the original Bass Pro was.

O
OnTheDrop
Wes,

Going to be up in the area the next 3 days doing a little recon to try to get some clack fish in the drifter. Boat is full tomorrow, but Tuesday or Wednesday may have room for you. In the air right now, but I owe ya a trip out. Shoot me a text. I lost your number.

Cheers

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Missed this man. Ill shoot you a text
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Wes,

Going to be up in the area the next 3 days doing a little recon to try to get some clack fish in the drifter. Boat is full tomorrow, but Tuesday or Wednesday may have room for you. In the air right now, but I owe ya a trip out. Shoot me a text. I lost your number.

Cheers

J
Jiggy
That looks like a pretty heavy slinky, I'm not great at catching steel, but others tell me the same thing over and over. You only want to hit the bottom every three seconds or so. If you feel your weight grinding across every rock your probably too heavy. Second, that's a really long leader, again from what I've been told, 16"-2' of leader is enough. Otherwise the fish has too long to bite and drop your gear before you can see or feel the bite. The pink worm has been good for me with a bobber and jig head combo. Might try a white head for contrast. The jig head that has been successful for me was a 1/8 oz pink dotted ( clown head ). I've fished that water with no success in both sides of the river. But I walked out on the bridge with some polarized glasses and watched steelhead spawning right in that exact area. That was late summer, but fish do hold in that area was all I'm getting at. I've hooked 7 steelhead in my life so take it for what it's worth. One on a fly years ago, one with a bobber and jig years back also. 5 hookups last year following these simple strategies. I've gotta be doing something right, I'd like to get criticism, or feedback also. I don't think you can ever be done learning about how to catch these slippery little suckers. Good luck

Z
zinfan94
I'm a newbie too, so I will share some of the things I am learning. I am using a bobber and a jig mostly, but swing flies as well. I went out on a coastal river yesterday morning, and had a couple of fish on, none landed (I am not so experienced at fighting large fish). I was fishing with an HS senior who has fished steelhead in the same river for eight years, and he landed a buck early in the morning. He suggests concentrating on the tailouts first thing in the morning, right after opening. He claims the active fish tend to hold in the tailouts in the early morning, then move up into the slots, seams, pools and deeper water later in the morning, and usually get less active later in the day. He usually carries a bobber and jig rod, and a spoon/spinner/plug rod and tries each at each spot, usually floating a jig first, then retrieving a lure. If you are an experienced bass fisherman, the plugs should fit your existing style, but get them into faster moving water.

Color of the jig is important. I fished the same river four times in the last two weeks, and all our hookups have come on the same basic color of the jig. The Clackamas likely has colors that works best, and find that colors will work... keep your eyes open. Second, consider using a different color for the head of your jig/worm combination.

Other folks will likely chime in and disagree with me, but thought I would throw some ideas into the discussion mix.

Steelhead fisherman.jpg

Y
youngbuck307
It's really all about the spot your fishing an what your fishing.... Like when I fish a "puff" I really like them on the bottom and times I have to pick up my rod to get that drift back going... With yearn ball and stuff I normally like it to just
Be tapping every few feet... The clack should really kick off soon I hope and ill be out on it quite a bit as well...