Look what I got!

H
HereFishy
image.jpg

I just picked up this boat from my boss because the price was right. His sales pitch was "get it off of my property and its yours". To which I replied "If you're gonna twist my arm. I guess I'll take a free boat...." It's not the fanciest boat out there. In fact it might very well be the crappiest boat on the forum. One of the rivets leaks about a cup of water in 4 hours and it has a dent in the bow. But it's my first boat and it sure beats being stuck on the bank. So poor condition or not, I'm STOKED..

image.jpg

Here's a picture of it in the bed of my truck for scale.

Happy fishing,
Kyle

p.s. Does anyone have a 5-9 hp outboard they'd be willing to sell? The boat came with tiny oars and garbage oar locks.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Lets see, It Floats. Fits in your truck & It was free................Looks like a Great fishing machine...........Good for you!

Good Luck finding a motor!

H
HereFishy
Thank chrome.. I picked it up last weekend and have already had 3 friends in it on 3 separate occasions. It's already had 30 to 35 fish in it. Granted, they were mainly panfish. A couple pikeminnow. a couple juvenile largemouth bass. But she's a certified fish getter..

E
eugene1
Sweet boat and glad you got her for free! What a great find.

You can drill out the leaky rivet and put a new one in pretty easy. Look up online: "bucking rivets", although that little water isn't too bad. Just get yourself a little outboard and hit it hard.

Best,

H
HereFishy
One of my friends suggested that I seal up the leaks then RhinoLine the inside of the boat. Is this common? I can think of a few cons and even fewer pros for doing that.

E
eugene1
HereFishy, why not do it right and just do new rivets. Super simple to do with a buddy or wife/girlfriend, and it should last a long time. My old boat was a 1987? smokercraft which was riveted, and no leaks. I did some rivet replacements on my dad's boats in the past and it was pretty easy to do. If you don't know which ones are leaking, just run a hose into your boat while it's on the trailer and mark the leakers underneath, drain and fix.

Rhino might work, but it'll add some weight and that stuff gets super hot in the sun, at least my truck bed does. Plus, it costs much more $ than a rivet...

Best,

HereFishy said:
One of my friends suggested that I seal up the leaks then RhinoLine the inside of the boat. Is this common? I can think of a few cons and even fewer pros for doing that.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Sweet catch on the boat! Think about getting an electric motor to start with while you find a good deal on a gas one. CC

H
HereFishy
The leaking rivets are getting replaced either way. Thats a given. I have everything to do it properly from my auto body technician days. Weight and heat are 2 of the major flaws I found with my buddies idea.. Others include; dealing with future leaks, no more smooth aluminum on my bare feet. I could expect at least a semi abrasive surface everywhere. Unless I want the inside of the boat to turn in to a slip-n-slide when it gets wet, and cost vs. the value of the boat.

troutdude
troutdude
"Free; is a very good price." - Tom Peterson

Glad to see that it's already a "certified" fish getter!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm sure have some great expierences with that boat. Congratulations captain!

T
TimberTodd
Glad you were able to still catch fish after that arm twisting. Congrats on the boat.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Might I suggest that you put a bumper stop on your tail gate as so your boat will not slip OFF the trucks tailgate.................Dont ask me how I know.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Very cool! Enjoy! Nothing beats that first time you shove off the bank! I still remember mine, I felt free for the first time (fishing wise) haha!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Chromatose said:
Might I suggest that you put a bumper stop on your tail gate as so your boat will not slip OFF the trucks tailgate.................Dont ask me how I know.

haha

H
HereFishy
Chromatose said:

Its tied OFF in the back.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Sweet little boat and for such a great price!

M
Merle
Until you replace the rivets use JB Weld on both sides of the rivet. No more leaks!

bass
bass
Sweet deal. I have had boats in the bed of my truck for a long time. I just lay them flat. As long as the overhang past the rear axle is less than 3/4 of the wheelbase you are good to go. I am not sure if that works in your case or not. If it does it is a lot easier to just shove the boat in and I think that the odds of something bad happening are reduced. If you are getting a trailer then of course this is all moot. Congrats again on the boat.

H
HereFishy
Update... My buddy had mentioned that he was having a hard time getting rid of his jet ski. I asked him if he wanted to sell the trailer. He pretty much told me the same thing my boss did when I inquired about buying the boat. "Get rid of the jet ski for me and you can have the trailer". To which I replied, "DEAL!". I gave the jet ski away to an enthusiast friend of mine, spent the morning modifying the trailer, and now my boat has a new place to catch its breath between my (usually daily) fishing trips. One of the trailer tires had a slow leak. So I had to stop at the gas station this morning on my way to pick it up for a can of Fix-A-Flat. That's the only money I've had to spend so far. I'm in to this whole package for 6 dollars and 49 cents! Here are pictures from when I got home with the trailer at around 9 this morning. And when I was done at around noon.

E
eugene1
Sweet boat trailer you got, and for cheap. I expected much more rust when I clicked your pics!

Nice job getting rid of the jet ski, but on the other hand, you could have mounted the engine in your boat. J/K, and happy for you.

Best,