Long lining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Mike123
I think leader size depends on water clarity and type of water being fished.
So for instance the Alsea for winter steel. A short leader is the only way to go.
Since the bottom structure is a lot of carved out channels a long leader wont work... if the water is gin clear a bit longer leader may be needed.
But say down lower on the siletz.. since most of it's just a wide open gravel bed, a longer leader can be used. But you NEVER need more then I'd say a 4ft leader.. and that's generous. I mostly fish about 2ft. leaders, when the water is clear 3ft. For chinook if your drifting it, SHORTER is better. They usually aren't to shy. They just want eggs in front of their nose. And a slow bottom presentation works the best. .02

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, in general, the Chinook just want eggs in their mouth! I see a lot of guys vertical jiggin in 40 feet of water on 50 pound Big Game. The chinook bump, and rattle through the maze of vertical lines being jigged. But you drop eggs on the surface to jig, and it boils with fish immediately! The first one to get there is the one you hook! But you are correct. If fish are spooky, longer, lighter leaders are necessary, but nothing outrageous for sure. When you are approaching half your rod length, in leader size, you are going to become less, and less productive regardless of water clarity. Most definitely Mike.

Reactions: Bfishin
B
Bfishin
ArcticAmoeba said:
You are missing something if you are thinking the extra long leader is an advantage. I run 18- 20 inch leaders for a very good reason. And I will hook far more fish beacuse of it. When a fish grabs your offering, even for a second, when you have a short leader, the split shot will swing past the fishes head, and tap against its flanks, effectively pinning the hook, and giving you a half second of extra time to react, and set the hook proper. Good luck drift fishing a reasonable presentation that the fish will take with 10 foot leaders. No way to control the orientation of your weights, and whatever you decided to throw at them. Get down to this hole before anyone can molest it, and hit it with standard drift gear. I guarantee you will hook fish on two number 7, or number 5 split shot, and an 18" leader with a simple, peach yarnie, on #4 Owner needle points. No corkie needed. Corkies are only there to provide folatation to bait, or large hooks. And if you are using anythig bigger than a size 2 for small stream Steelhead, it is not going to be nearly as effective as running 4's, or 6's.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip on the Peach Yarnie set-up. The only thing is that I might need a little more lead for this drift. You recommend split shots for weight? Also, Is an Owner needle point a brand of hook?

K
Kodiak
Wiley Creek

Wiley Creek

There is a hole on the south fork of the santiam called wiley creek where this method is the "go to" rig for a lot of guys. I fish about 3-4 foot 6# leader and do better than most of the 10 foot guys. 90% of the fish I pick out of here are on the "swing" just after my weight leaves the bottom for the last time. Its amethod I developed to fish one particular spot that I just can't get into with a spinner. And Mike123 is right, every hookup is yelled "ITS IN THE MOUTH"

A
ArcticAmoeba
Bfishin said:
Sweet. Thanks for the tip on the Peach Yarnie set-up. The only thing is that I might need a little more lead for this drift. You recommend split shots for weight? Also, Is an Owner needle point a brand of hook?

No problem man. Peachy King, and white, as a combo, works everywhere! I do run split shot for drift weight. You would be surprised, with a little practice how far two, to three #5's will go. We don't really need more than three when fishing the Clacks main current seams. So don't go overboard trying to get down instantly. Yo do want to make sure you tap bottom once every 20-40 feet, but it make it look natural, like it belongs in the water, and you have a great shot at hooking up. Owner manufactures two standard hooks, one is the Cutting Point. Which in my opinion is a terrible hook, gereat penetration, bad point. It opens up the hole as you fight a fish. Making hook spitters more prevolent. I went 2 fer 12 one day in WA last season, and threw a whole bag in the trash and switched to Cutting Points, the other product they have. I find it to be a far superior hook for drift fishing than the other. But that is just my personal preference, and Visions, or others will probably suit you fine. But give the Needle Points a try, you will like them.;)

M
Mike123
ArcticAmoeba said:
No problem man. Peachy King, and white, as a combo, works everywhere! I do run split shot for drift weight. You would be surprised, with a little practice how far two, to three #5's will go. We don't really need more than three when fishing the Clacks main current seams. So don't go overboard trying to get down instantly. Yo do want to make sure you tap bottom once every 20-40 feet, but it make it look natural, like it belongs in the water, and you have a great shot at hooking up. Owner manufactures two standard hooks, one is the Cutting Point. Which in my opinion is a terrible hook, gereat penetration, bad point. It opens up the hole as you fight a fish. Making hook spitters more prevolent. I went 2 fer 12 one day in WA last season, and threw a whole bag in the trash and switched to Cutting Points, the other product they have. I find it to be a far superior hook for drift fishing than the other. But that is just my personal preference, and Visions, or others will probably suit you fine. But give the Needle Points a try, you will like them.;)

I love Vision hooks.. I think Im going to buy them from now on.

A
ArcticAmoeba
#3 Visions are my favorite for sidedrifting Steelhead. From a boat of course. But I like Owner NP's from the bank. Vision really is a very good product though. And all of my Steelhead sidedrift stingers are Visions. Only gripe my friend and I have, is that the barb could be a bit better. Maybe a little more meat to it would help. But overall a superb hook, at a reasonable price.

R
RiverSideKid
osmosis said:
a 10 ft leader and a corkie is something you should be calling the oregon state police about.

well the funny thing is the oregon state police know about it :shock: isn't that a shocker, they check peoples license's all the time you think they dont ask what people are using, get a grip people. i mean if its that big of a deal to you why havent all of you called the police yet???:confused:

Reactions: Thuggin4Life, Fishtopher and Bfishin
O
osmosis
Aww are we ripping on your favorite method?
I do call the police.
maybe you need to get a grip on reality and help benefit our fisheries a little as well.

K
Kodiak
RiverSideKid said:
well the funny thing is the oregon state police know about it :shock: isn't that a shocker, they check peoples license's all the time you think they dont ask what people are using, get a grip people. i mean if its that big of a deal to you why havent all of you called the police yet???:confused:

I've seen state cops force guys to realse fish caught that way even though the fish was "HOOKED IN THE MOUTH...IT'S IN THE MOUTH!" the battle cry of flosser/snaggers everywhere. And NO fish don't have two mouths, the one in front and everywhere else. I feel bad about having to go to 4 ft in the summer and trying to maintain a snag free day.

F
Fishtopher
What?!

What?!

RiverSideKid said:

No its not a shocker. :rolleyes:And your attempt at sarcasm failed I believe. :protest:A few guys on here have used cell phones, on the river, in front of the alleged snagger, to report the game violation(and encourage others to do so as well), and/or are on first name basis with the game wardens/state police that patrol the areas we fish/hunt:tongue:. And it is that big of a deal when we fish in rivers with protected/endangered fish in the mix:mad:.

Is it not that big of a deal to you?:whistle:

I
I Grade
I am going to reinforce the opinion that if you are a sportsman in Oregon you must also think of yourself a part time conservationist. We are fighting every year to preserve the staus quo, and its not joke-worthy to ignore that snagging regardless of the method used to accomplish it is a crime and needs to be reported. If I see people doing anything questionable on the rivers/lakes that I frequent you better TRUST that I will be reporting it. I can only hope that the rest of you are as passionate about preserving your natural resources as I am. I want to fish these waters with my grandkids SOMEDAY, and fools that snag or break ANY ODFW regulation are going to ruin it for us sooner than later. Sorry, this thread has touched a nerve.

I Grade

M
mgdguy
I agree with you I Grade. 100%. HOWEVER - I would replace the word 'questionable' with 'illegal'. Probably what you meant, but as someone who has been falsly accussed of a serious crime supposedly 'witnessed' by someone else, and had the cops called on him, I believe a witness must be DAM* sure they know what they saw before reporting it! :naughty: No witchhunts please!

D
Dichrofisher
One day on Lake Creek I saw some guys flossing for chinook and I wasn't catching a thing so I asked the warden who checked my ID what he thought about it. He ended up making me feel like a criminal for asking. Not sure what was going on there but I didn't like the whole arrangement.

F
FishSlayer420
Dude are you stupid or something better yet or are you retarded. i have been "Flossing" for years while being checked by the state police so how about you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth huh.

Reactions: Fishtopher
F
FishSlayer420
I only keep em if its IN THE MOUTH!

S
steelheadstalker31
I think guys floss because thats all they know how to do. The most extreme flossing I've seen occures on the right side of the river looking up stream at Dexter, on the rail next to the damn. I was there last year and saw 2 guys using 8oz weight and every bit of 20ft of leader with a peice of yarn. They had so much leader they had to wind it up in a circle on the ground before launching. They said they had been slayin the nooks that way, which were illegal to fish for last year up there. Osp is well aware of the tacktics used there, just don't get caught with to short of a leader or they will think your snagging:think:

O
Obsessed
Out of curiosity, how does a longer leader make it easier to snag a fish?

F
FishSlayer420
Well first of all the fish is constantly opening and closing its mouth so you cover more water with a longer leader and your line drifts through there mouth and you got yourself a steelhead on so to all you haters try and keep up with us on fish this year huh. oh yeah and its not snaggin just to let ye know it completely legal come up to the tubes up dexter sometime i will show you how its done

M
mgdguy
FishSlayer420 said:
Well first of all the fish is constantly opening and closing its mouth so you cover more water with a longer leader and your line drifts through there mouth and you got yourself a steelhead on so to all you haters try and keep up with us on fish this year huh. oh yeah and its not snaggin just to let ye know it completely legal come up to the tubes up dexter sometime i will show you how its done

Isn't fishing about trying to trick a fish into latching onto your bait/hook/...OFFERING?! That doesn't sound like what you're describing above.

Legal? Maybe, maybe not. Ethical? Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.