Limited fishing done at Cultus

C
CPLLEWIS
I am surprised no one has posted on here for Cultus. I spent two days fishing it on memorial day weekend. I heard there were big lake trout and rainbows in Cultus. The lake gets extremely deep near the middle between the two prominent points (150' plus). I tried trolling some Rapalas 3' behind a UV reflective dodger with no luck. I also tried throwing roostertails and panther martins at the west end of the lake with no luck. We only saw one other boat in two days so maybe the fishing has dropped off? If anyone else fishes Cultus please throw out some input.

troutdude
troutdude
There are macs up to 20 lbs. in Cultus. And bows up to 18" or so. The max depth is 211'. The macs cruise the shallows in the Spring. Perhaps the macs haven't moved out, from the shorelines yet; and you fished too deep? When the water warms up, they will move into the cooler/deeper water.

This link, may also be helpful:

http://aol.research.pdx.edu/?q=lake/350

C
cowboysfan
TD is right on with his post, they hold a lake trout derby early in the season every year. Once the weather warms up it turns into a water sport lake and most people will not compete with them to fish.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, macs are fish eaters. In Cultus, their food supply are Mountain Whitefish. This is different, then the two nearby mac lakes. They feed on Kokes in those lakes. But, not in Cultus. So, a plug/lure that imitates a whitefish should do the trick.

Macs also prefer water temps, between 48 and 50 degrees. So, target your gear in the depth where you find that temp range. And they prefer structure like boulder fields, rocky outcrops, volcanic cones, ledges and drop OFFs. They like to lie in wait, and move up to ambush their prey.

And, here's a quote from "Fishing in Oregon's Cascade Lakes", by Scott Richmond.

"When presenting a lure to mackinaw, troll slowly, with just enough speed to give good action to the lure. Macks like it slow. Real slow. You wouldn't believe how slow they can like it. If Mackinaw were people, they'd be corpulent couch potatoes, the kind that would watch the same TV channel all day if the batteries died in the remote control."

C
CPLLEWIS
Thanks Troutdude & cowboysfan. Very helpful. I think I will try Cultus again within the next month. Davis Lake tomorrow and Crane Prairie Saturday. We will see how those go. Davis has been faithful so far and Crane not so much this year.