Legalize selling sport caught fish.

Irishrover
Irishrover
OK from the get go I'll admit that his is a wee bit tounge in cheek so here goes. I was thinking the state should change the rules and allow sports fishermen to sell their catch. First the state would sell a permit for lets say $25 to the firsherperson that would allow them to sell their catch. The limits that are now in effect would still apply. There is no way a person would make a lot of money on this. A person fishing out of a boat would most likely loose money. The idea is that the $25 fee would be earmarked to improve fish habitat. More than a few times while at the marina in Astoria I've had tourist ask to buy a salmon from me. I have to explain to them that it is not legal for me to do that. I can give it away I just can't sell it. (Kind of like the prostitution laws). Now I'm sure not going to give it away to a complete stranger (the fish). So in this situation everyone looses. The state could have had money for fish habitat, I could have sold a fish for $50 bucks or so. That would have paid for the $25 fee and left me $25 to put down on a bottle of Jameson. I just might have to run this by my state senator, money for the state for fish habitat restoration, more fish to non fisher folks and more money for good whiskey. Not what could be wrong with that.:thumb:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Should be the same as mushrooms. You can buy a permit and sell mushrooms that you've picked in the woods. Id much rather buy a salmon caught by rod and reel then a net.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Back in Michigan we used to sell carp or catfish and some walleyes to the guys at ford during shift change and would make 100-200 bucks. Never thinking it was against the law,but the cops or fish and game never said anything ether. plus i just donated the money to the battered woman and children shelter. but yes i agree we should be able to sell any catches,being that we paid for our license and tags the state is getting their money from us and and if we don't catch any fish they still win!

O
OnTheDrop
I agree!

Casting Call
Casting Call
GPF... Where those considered sport fish? Did they have limits on them. Boy what a way to earn a living. I'll tell my homeless peeps about this one. Might be better than bottles and cans. Where's LawyerBob and Senator Ron? Tony

E
eugene1
I think we should let salmon be sport-caught only in OR and not sold since there is not enough of them... For other species maybe a good idea.

I think there are some tuna fishermen in OR that are considered sport/commercial. They are selling sport caught fish somehow.

Best,

S
steelhead_slayer
I like it

H
halibuthitman
This would be so horribly abused... Sportsmen cannot be trustred to include profit with recreation, are not enough natives poached yearly by " sportsmen " who live directly on the river or poach from private property, hundreds MORE fish on the clack and sandy could not end up on a harvest card. I am actually suprised an ex law enforcement officer could ever believe a program like this could work.

troutdude
troutdude
Casting Call said:
I'll tell my homeless peeps about this one. Might be better than bottles and cans. Where's LawyerBob and Senator Ron? Tony

You can tell your homeless peeps, about the PAID fishery for Pike Minnows on the Big C!

E
eugene1
I thought about the idea a little more, and I think it's a good idea for bass, carp, and other non-natives. I'd rather see the steel and salmon C&R'd if they won't be used by the angler without $ changing hands.

Best,

T
Throbbit _Shane
Would be a terrible idea for bass. The state already does nothing for them, would hate to see the populations sold.

E
eugene1
I guess I can see your point, but what about carp and walleye at least?

Best,

Throbbit _Shane said:
Would be a terrible idea for bass. The state already does nothing for them, would hate to see the populations sold.

T
troutmasta
It would get abused.

They have a program where you can get a permit to sell them. Its called a commercial license.

While I often calculate the market value of my halibut vs the cost of going so far out, it would be abused profusely.

My 2cents

H
halibuthitman
A 20 lb winter troll caught chinook sells to the cannery for $180 bucks.. Too valuable to not turn into a state enabled black market. As for walleye, bass and carp.. These fish are every bit as valuable to some folks as sport fish, and are introduced species, the same as a hatchery steelhead or salmon.. NO fish is more or less important than another-

Irishrover
Irishrover
When I was in Hawaii I talked to some sport guys who ran charters. Their customer didn't keep the fish so the charter guy sold the fish. All very legal there. So look at it this way. I pay for my license I catch the fish the fish is now my property but I can't sell it to a guy on the dock from Kanasas? Sonds more like some one is trying to protect a monopoly. I can give the fish to the Kansas guy hmmmm. This is just a dicussion it's just an idea. So how does it get abused? If only hatchery fish can be sold and seem like folks want hatchery fish out of the river? The extra money would go to the state for habitat restoration seems like a win win. No native fish would be allowed to be sold. As for buying a commercial license good luck on that one they don't just hand those thing out. Now remember this is not for profit. There is no way I make a profit selling a fish or two at a time. Perhaps from the bank a person could make some money. From a boat I don't think so. Figure cost of the boat, boat insurence, boat moorage or ramps fees, fuel, fuel to haul the boat, license and tags pluss gear and bait. This is just a way for a sports guy to sell a few fish for whiskey money. I don't even want to know what it cost me to catch a fish. The other nice side benefit think of all the new folks this would bring into the fish world. It would help the economy.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nailed by Eugene 1 you raskel. I did say it was tounge in cheek :)

E
eugene1
Haha, nice! I think I remember the $25 cost or fee in proposal?

I'm hoping the prize is a ride during B10... Keep up the good fight, buddy!

Best,

Irishrover said:
Nailed by Eugene 1 you raskel. I did say it was tounge in cheek :)

Casting Call
Casting Call
YAE! Niners WON. Irish set-up or not it may be worth consideration. Some of you might have missed what Irishrover said"The limits that are in effect would still apply" What a person does with his legal caught fish is his /her choice. It's not like poaching or commercial harvesting. I think that seller & buyer must acknowage the transaction by show of of the sellers licence. Caught not doing so should come with a very fine,$500.00 to start. I also think it's a win/win for all. More revenue for ODFW also a way to re-coup the sellers fee/tag and a annual fishing license fee(as much as$65.00)makeing it affordable to those who can't pop for the license right after x-mas. If C&R is your game you will benfit from all the services rendered by those who buy sellers tags. Some peeps don't eat fish from certain areas. Poachers will be poachers on private property or not. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
YAE! Niners WON. Irish set-up or not it may be worth consideration. Some of you might have missed what Irishrover said"The limits that are in effect would still apply" What a person does with his legal caught fish is his /her choice. It's not like poaching or commercial harvesting. I think that seller & buyer must acknowage the transaction by show of of the sellers licence. Caught not doing so should come with a very fine,$500.00 to start. I also think it's a win/win for all. More revenue for ODFW also a way to re-coup the sellers fee/tag and a annual fishing license fee(as much as$65.00)makeing it affordable to those who can't pop for the license right after x-mas. If C&R is your game you will benfit from all the services rendered by those who buy sellers tags. Some peeps don't eat fish from certain areas. Poachers will be poachers on private property or not. Tony
A harvest tag is a harvest tag

E
eugene1
Since the states (OR WA ID) pay for a lot for the fish I don't think the money could be recouped by this model. Fishing generates more money via a sport fishery than a commercial one, and if some really good fishermen come and clean house, you're going to end up with lots of unhappy sportsfishers (less revenue).

Continuing this line of thought, why not let more commercial netters into the area other than just the Columbia? Remember the salmon canneries on the 'slaw? I don't either, but they took LOTS of fish about 100 years ago.

Just my thoughts,