Leaving tomorrow to try to catch the salmonfly hatch!

J
jimmy
flytrekker1007 said:
how long have you been fly fishing, and how many times have you had that golden day?

I mean 'golden day' as in 30 fish days on topwater. . .
some times you can do no wrong. . . and it's gonna happen soon.
there's a lot of variables involved, none of us can tell when.

when the temp of air and water converge, and the bugs start flying, the fish start looking up, ( and more importiently, start competing for easy food ) throw ANYTHING out on the water and you'll get bit. . . .

until and after that 'magic moment' we just have to have the pacience (sp?) and stamina to enjoy ourselves and know we're on WORLD-CLASS-TROPHY-WATER . . . .

top water is not easy. . . on those 'golden day's' . . . well. . . .

it can be. . . .

and, your Q's: 30 years, maybe 5.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
I'm just hoping that Magic 30 includes this weekend because that's where I'll be! Hopefully getting to Trout Creek today and staying until who knows when! I can't run out of beer because I won't have any. I just hope the rain is light and the winds die down. See you guys there, look for the little "Lazy Drifter" boat and say hi.

GD

M
Modest_Man
I was out there from Friday till Tuesday. Water was high and cold. Fishing was slower than usual for this time of year according to everyone I talked to. It was my first time on the Deschutes and we were there to raft, not fish but I still managed to get into several trout (including my first fish every fly fishing).

J
jimmy
that 'golden day' is still waiting for one of us. . . .
I was averaging 10 fish a day, all over 15"s, and missed MANY fish that rolled under or over my fly, this past weekend,
the cold is still holding em (the salmonflys) on the grass. . .
the fish know they're there but, haven't gotten too greedy yet. . . YET!!

that 30 fish a day, photo's of 20"+ fish, arm hurting, smile muscles aching day is still available to whoever finds it. . . .

(and there's that 'ugly fly' contest too. . . . if you find yourself on the water at that magic time)

Last edited: