bass
Most Featured
I hit the Columbia on Sunday the 9th with my friend Mike (https://www.youtube.com/@MichaelJarvisFishing). I got to the water well before Mike and the wind was already whipping pretty good at 16-20mph. Of course the wind only builds during the day in in the afternoon it was blowing 25-30mph. That wind puts the big bass in a feeding mood but man is it a lot of work to fish in those conditions. Here is the wind speed plot from the day:

Even though it was blowing pretty good I started out with a topwater but after catching two small bass I gave that up. I could not even see my topwater in the waves and spray. For most of the rest of the day I kept the S-waver in my hand. I did spend a fair bit of time throwing the 110 plus one but I never landed a fish on it (although I did lose one right at the kayak). I also caught a couple of bass on a drop shot and one on the Jack Hammer stealthblade but 15 of the 20 bass I caught came on the S-waver.
The day was a bit of a grind in terms of action for the both us. We each made quite a few casts between fish. The difference was that for the most part I was catching some smaller fish with a 16-17" bass every once in a while but Mike was catching some smaller fish with a 19-20" bass every once in a while. He had the magic working on Sunday.
Not really the magic, he was just relentless with the glide baits. He definitely outworked me. He was toggling between an S-waver and some other glide bait whereas I would get tired of throwing those big baits and often then try to move offshore a bit with a drop shot, throw the 110 plus one or some other bait just to give myself a break. Almost every big fish we caught came on a glide bait (he did get a 19" on a spinnerbait but it was mostly a glide bait show).
His tireless effort paid off big time. My best 5 probably was close to 90" but Mike had to be well north of 95"! I mean, I did not get completely shut out of quality fish. I did have an 18.5" and a 20.25" but MIke must have had at least a half dozen bass of 19" or better.
So I did not have a terrible day but it was nothing like his! In the end, I caught 20 bass with my best 5 only going 13lb 5oz. My biggest of the day was 20.25" 3lb 9oz and that was my only bass over 3lbs on the day.
Even though I did not do as well on the big fish as I would have liked it was a blast as always fishing with Mike.
Here are some pics from the day and the video:




Even though it was blowing pretty good I started out with a topwater but after catching two small bass I gave that up. I could not even see my topwater in the waves and spray. For most of the rest of the day I kept the S-waver in my hand. I did spend a fair bit of time throwing the 110 plus one but I never landed a fish on it (although I did lose one right at the kayak). I also caught a couple of bass on a drop shot and one on the Jack Hammer stealthblade but 15 of the 20 bass I caught came on the S-waver.
The day was a bit of a grind in terms of action for the both us. We each made quite a few casts between fish. The difference was that for the most part I was catching some smaller fish with a 16-17" bass every once in a while but Mike was catching some smaller fish with a 19-20" bass every once in a while. He had the magic working on Sunday.
Not really the magic, he was just relentless with the glide baits. He definitely outworked me. He was toggling between an S-waver and some other glide bait whereas I would get tired of throwing those big baits and often then try to move offshore a bit with a drop shot, throw the 110 plus one or some other bait just to give myself a break. Almost every big fish we caught came on a glide bait (he did get a 19" on a spinnerbait but it was mostly a glide bait show).
His tireless effort paid off big time. My best 5 probably was close to 90" but Mike had to be well north of 95"! I mean, I did not get completely shut out of quality fish. I did have an 18.5" and a 20.25" but MIke must have had at least a half dozen bass of 19" or better.
So I did not have a terrible day but it was nothing like his! In the end, I caught 20 bass with my best 5 only going 13lb 5oz. My biggest of the day was 20.25" 3lb 9oz and that was my only bass over 3lbs on the day.
Even though I did not do as well on the big fish as I would have liked it was a blast as always fishing with Mike.
Here are some pics from the day and the video:


