Leaders for summer steelies

C
capblack
kodiak, if you dont normally drift fish, what do you do? Brian

K
Kodiak
SantiamDrifter said:
Are you just tryin to toy with me here. The 10 ft leader was just an example. I was trying to state you dont need to be affraid to run a longer leader and have your bait out of the strike zone. I havent flossed or snagged a single time in my life. And like I said twice now, the dual hook is for adding a little cheater between the hooks to add boucny to the bait. Its real popular up in washington. And yeah, the puff palls do keep your bait off the bottom, you just have to match the right size ones to the right size of bait.

How would you know if have flossed a fish or actually got him to bite running longer leaders? you can't feel squat with a longer leader. The longer the leader makes your weight have to travel farther to actually feel a take. So any ligitamte take would be felt a week late for a hookset making most of your hookups not legit. To feel that bite in time the fish would hit your line not gear half way down your leader. This is flossing, weather its in the mouth or not. Don't try and B.S. me, You have no Idea how many fish you've flossed. Flossing is the same thing as snagging....If you find yourself yelling "it's in the mouth" around other fisherman you know you have a problem. I'm sure the gentelmen on the boards here are more than willing to help you.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm confused.... :lol::lol:

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
First it was two hook rigs, and now you are advocating flossing/snagging with a 10' leader? Here we ago again kids. A puff ball won't keep your "bait" off the bottom. If guys would quit snagging/flossing with 10' leaders those fish would be much more aggressive biters.......You guys really gotta quit that garbage....steelhead will bite if given the chance SD...You don't have to snag to make friends.

I only wish this were true... if people would just quit with the line ripping, the fish would bite so much more! I like to sit below all the snaggers and pick off angry fish with my SPINNERS. :D

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
I only wish this were true... if people would just quit with the line ripping, the fish would bite so much more! I like to sit below all the snaggers and pick off angry fish with my SPINNERS. :D

LOL...I don't know anybody else on this forum that does that either......LOL

E
eggs
I use 3, 8' leaders attached to a single slinky... I use 2/0 hoooks with a corky and yarn... I never leave without my limit...

S
SantiamDrifter
Kodiak said:
How would you know if have flossed a fish or actually got him to bite running longer leaders? you can't feel squat with a longer leader. The longer the leader makes your weight have to travel farther to actually feel a take. So any ligitamte take would be felt a week late for a hookset making most of your hookups not legit. To feel that bite in time the fish would hit your line not gear half way down your leader. This is flossing, weather its in the mouth or not. Don't try and B.S. me, You have no Idea how many fish you've flossed. Flossing is the same thing as snagging....If you find yourself yelling "it's in the mouth" around other fisherman you know you have a problem. I'm sure the gentelmen on the boards here are more than willing to help you.

you think 3-4 ft leaders are too long?

T
Troutcatcher
It's all about tricking a fish to bite, thats the sport in sport fishing...

M
metalfisher76
SantiamDrifter said:
you think 3-4 ft leaders are too long?

Pretty much! It`s simple math. He even spelled it out for ya. It would take till tomorrow for you know the fish grabbed. And if that fish grabbed and fell back, with the offering in it`s mouth, well then it would take till Friday to know he was there. 2` feet of leader is all that is needed.
By the way: I SMELL A SET UP!:lol:

B
bigdog
eggs said:
I use 3, 8' leaders attached to a single slinky... I use 2/0 hoooks with a corky and yarn... I never leave without my limit...
See now thats how you fish:lol: You should try a treble hook though then you'll never loose a fish :lol:

Kodiak said:
....If you find yourself yelling "it's in the mouth" .

IT'S IN THE MOUTH I haven't heard that one for a while now :lol:

K
Kodiak
IT was in the mouth I swear!!!!!! Really...Look See! ITs in the mouth!!1 IT's IN THE MOUTH!!!!!!!

B
bigsteel
oops

Last edited:
E
eggs
bigdog said:
See now thats how you fish:lol: You should try a treble hook though then you'll never loose a fish :lol:

Talk about a double hook up on a boat.. try on the same line!!! BAM!!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Don't worry people have told me that you can floss when float fishing. Well if that's true I suck at it because its never happened. It seems those who say you can floss when float fishing are the ones that are doing it while drift fishing. :lol: Its funny, I have had guys come up to see the fish after I have fought it and say "is it in the mouth"? I'm like, where else would it be?! :lol: :lol:

Its sad but this is how people learn how to fish. When my bro in law moved out from the east coast years ago he was trying to learn how to fish for steelhead. Well the guys he would see fishing would say "steelhead don't bite" but you can catch them with a corkie, yarn and a long leader. Well that is what he learned but finally ran into someone who knew what they were doing. The problem is there is a huge majority of fisherman that fish that way and new steelhead fisherman are learning from those. Those who know what they are doing need to help out those new at this and hopefully we can change the learning process.

I am not saying that you can't get them to bite a corkie, it does happen but go to the pond and throw out a corkie off the bottom or under a float and see how many trout you catch. :D

Last edited:
M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
Don't worry people have told me that you can floss when float fishing. Well if that's true I suck at it because its never happened. It seems those who say you can floss when float fishing are the ones that are doing it while drift fishing. :lol:

I see guys snagging with floats in "certain areas" here on the S. Sant. They set their jig super deep.. The jig will hook them on the outside of the bottom jaw. Also seen a guy there at the falls snagging salmon with some UGLYYYY jigs under a float. Same thing.. they were kegged up so thick in this little shoot that they didn't move outta the way of the jig.

M
metalfisher76
"steelhead don't bite" is a new one:lol::lol::lol: I`ve heard this about fallies and then stand right above the snaggers(who are in deep holes) in some riffles/white water step up little runs and get hit constantly. oh man, steelhead don`t bite:lol:that`s a good one:rolleyes::lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Mike123 said:
I see guys snagging with floats in "certain areas" here on the S. Sant. They set their jig super deep.. The jig will hook them on the outside of the bottom jaw. Also seen a guy there at the falls snagging salmon with some UGLYYYY jigs under a float. Same thing.. they were kegged up so thick in this little shoot that they didn't move outta the way of the jig.

Leave it to the snaggers to figure out how to do it with a float! :lol: If those guys spent half as much time learning how to really fish they would be pretty good. LOL

S
steelhead_stalkers
metalfisher76 said:
"steelhead don't bite" is a new one:lol::lol::lol: I`ve heard this about fallies and then stand right above the snaggers(who are in deep holes) in some riffles/white water step up little runs and get hit constantly. oh man, steelhead don`t bite:lol:that`s a good one:rolleyes::lol:

I know I thought the same thing. If they don't bite then how do they survive that long before heading back out to sea. Those people left school early to learn how to catch the non biting steelhead. :lol:

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
Leave it to the snaggers to figure out how to do it with a float! :lol: If those guys spent half as much time learning how to really fish they would be pretty good. LOL

Ya exactly... they could catch more actually fishing for them. Oh well, what can you do. lol