Leader/tippet recommendations for single-handed steelhead rod

G
Green_Tackle
I have a new 9'6 single-handed 8wt I got for steelheading on the Wilson, Trask, and other coastal streams. Most of my favorite spots would require very short casts. I have Teeny T300 line and would like some tips on lengths and sizes for tying up some leader/tippets. I'm on a pretty tight budget and can't afford to carry dozens of spools and/or lines, but I'm new to steelhead on the fly so I don't need to be prepared for every situation. Just enough to get out there and start fishing.

I would like to tie up the leaders using Maxima and then Bioline at the tippet (and a few with Maxima all the way for comparison). I've heard some people say 9' leaders and others say 5' leaders for the Teeny lines. What do you think?

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive hooked all my fish on cheap mono line no need to go spendy. are you swinging or using strike indicators? i dont know much about swinging but for indicator fishing winter steelhead i use 8-10lb mono i prefer 8lb when using maxima. if your targeting summer fish id go 6-8 lb .
for leader length u usually make it a little longer then the average depth of the water i am fishing so i have room to adjust my strike indicator.
i no squat about the setup for swinging flies so maybe someone else can help you there.

Brandon

Last edited:
G
Green_Tackle
I was planning on swinging. I primarily fish Winter Steelies but considering that season is ending, I'll hope to get out after Summers at least once or twice this year. My favorite spots are usually about 3 to 12 feet deep.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
Sinkline said:
You don't need a tapered leader. Just loop on a section of Maxima and double or triple Surgeon knot your tippet to that. Experiment with the lengths of each to find what you like. Simple, and works just fine.

Randy
thats what i do. i use a perfection loop on my fly line then a foot or two of butt section leader with a perfection loop on it then do a double surgeons knot to my main leader.. they hold really good on fish i was worried it would not work at first but if you do it right the knots hold perfect