Leaburg report from a newbie

J
jettycrawler
New to fishing here, decided to head up to Leaburg this morning before work cuz I noticed the dam was open this week :) No bites till 9 when ODFW came by with the fish tank. They dropped about 400 mostly legal (and hungry) rainbows, then it was game on! Bouncing worms or power bait off the bottom was working for some, but those of us casting spinners hauled in the most, it seemed.

R
rippin fish lips
jettycrawler said:
New to fishing here, decided to head up to Leaburg this morning before work cuz I noticed the dam was open this week :) No bites till 9 when ODFW came by with the fish tank. They dropped about 400 mostly legal (and hungry) rainbows, then it was game on! Bouncing worms or power bait off the bottom was working for some, but those of us casting spinners hauled in the most, it seemed.

with the lower warmer water, you bet ya Small spinners and spoons will work better and bring in more fish then those who are baiting it. Those fish are probably not hoding and are cruising in circles, staying moving for more oxygen, there for... you bring a couple buddies and all you toss size 1-3 sized spiiners and 1/4oz spoons and you will have a great day out there. Early in the morning, fish those spinners a few inches under the surface when the fish are suspended a bit more. As the sun comes up, you can slowly follow the fish down and still doo goooood

Go grab your self some crawfish scent, shrimp or earthworm oil. Slap that on your spoons, and put it on the hooks of your spinners, rub a light light coating on the bodie of the spinner (without getting any on the blade) then rub some scent on the top of the wire on the spinner (again do not let any get on the blade) then proceed and go up your line.

Your bits Should also increase a bit more. Fish 6lb and 4'b lines.

J
jettycrawler
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be setting my alarm early tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
coyo7e
Spinners destroy stocker fish when they're fresh in the water and hungry - they're very aggressive, and if you see some jumping and toss 3-6 feet past them and retrieve by where they jumped, they'll probably nail your spinner immediately. And again as mentioned above my post, later in the day as the sun comes up, just go deeper and deeper.

I "cheat" and have a bunch of like 4 oz jelly jars that I mix scents together in and them label them with "secret code" (E/R/C would be earthworm, roe, and crawfish, for instance,) although it's not really to stay secret as much as keep most of my store-bought scents and stuff at home so it doesn't end up lost or buried in the trunk. ;)

A
amnis
Nice! Sounds like a good day fishing. Me, Sapo and another friend hit up Leaburg last year we tossed wolly buggers and had great success, at least a dozen 12-15 inch rainbows good fun for sure.

S
sapo
Hmm amnis I'm thinking our rainbows were more in the 10lb+ range..