Last winter steelhead trip of the year

M
Modest_Man
Took my little brother and his friend out for their first steelhead trip ever yesterday and today. The drive over the pass yesterday was snowy and cold, and it snowed for a lot of the morning yesterday, with patches of sun and some hail and rain too.

Hogan, my brothers friend got the first fish Friday morning. Set the hook when the bobber went down like a pro, and the fish decided to shoot downstream through a gnarly set of rapids. No photos of the fish, which was also the largest and brightest as our photographer stayed with the dog at the creek. He had the shakes for a good 30 minutes afterwords, and I did too! Got it on the jig TimberTodd tied up again, and the buck had a articulated bunny spey patter lodged in his jaw as well. One of the best fights I've seen so far, and definitely a fish to remember for him.
P1030822_zps4eb158dd.jpg

P1030823_zps17366c35.jpg

P1030824_zpsf0c2afd4.jpg
Handing off through the creek

P1030827_zpsb1d8c479.jpg
Happy kid after his first steelhead!

P1030826_zps7a1b820d.jpg
Here's what he had to work down! Four or five large rocks that he could have gotten snagged up on, but somehow didn't.

A few minutes later I managed to get my first steelhead on a fly rod, and used an egg pattern I tied up myself! Also my smallest steelhead to date.
P1030841_zps2eaabc07.jpg

Five minutes later fish #2 on a fly rod, took the same egg pattern.
P1030836_zps77c8a4e5.jpg

P1030855_zps67297c8b.jpg

In between we managed to hook two cutthroat, the larger of which I thought was a steelhead for a few seconds.
P1030859_zps3cdcce39.jpg

P1030862_zpsaf0a9800.jpg

That was it for Friday, Saturday rolls around and we worked back to where we hooked the steelhead yesterday and Jake had a bobber down with a pink work, fought it for 30 seconds and it took a leap and broke off at the hook.
P1030866_zps67eadb55.jpg

P1030868_zps71d19e17.jpg
They borrowed fishing gear, waders, and camping gear and I spent a lot of time re-tying their gear and letting them fish the choice water but it was totally worth it! Talking to other fishermen both yesterday and today and not one had seen a fish.

Reactions: billfisher
B
billfisher
Great job getting them into the fish! Very nice post and pictures. They will never forget that first one, lol

E
eugene1
Sweet dude! Nice photos and it's an awesome feeling getting people into the fish.

Great looking trout by the way!

Best,

W
wozniasm
Some big smiles going on there! great day!

O
OnTheDrop
Great report all around!

I love getting people into steelhead. Might even be more rewarding to be honest.

Tight lines

M
Modest_Man
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Great report all around!

I love getting people into steelhead. Might even be more rewarding to be honest.

Tight lines

Totally is. I was freaking out big time with the first fish. Really wanted them to have a memorable time. They drove down from Washington and bought two day licenses to fish with me, which is spendy for a couple 17 year olds!

O
OnTheDrop
A day that will never be forgotten. I got my older brother into his first steel a couple winters ago and man what a day that was!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice pictures as always. And way to go getting them into fish. Bet they got the itch now.

S
Spydeyrch
Yo MM, Nicely done man!!! Hats off to ya! :clap:

Totally wish I could have gone with ya. We had it planned for what, like a month or so? :think: But when family calls, it calls and my wife wasn't doing too well. Glad you guys had some success.

Although, now that I think of it ..... :think: ..... the first time you went there you got fish. The next time, with me, we skunked out (unless you count that trout I caught the first day) ... and now the third trip you catch fish. Am I like bad luck or something? :lol: hahahahahaha

Anywho, glad you guys went and got them into some fish. Nice pics and glad to see the smiles all around. :D

We need to plan a trip here soon to hit some more water. But I am going to have to start my family on some antibiotics like a week before we go so that nothing comes up medical-wise like the last two times!!! hahahahahahaha

Take care man.

-Spydey

W
waco
Nice pics and report man! but how come is your last trip? Is just the middle of the season on so many rivers!

C
ChezJfrey
waco said:
Nice pics and report man! but how come is your last trip? Is just the middle of the season on so many rivers!

My guess is it was just tricky wording. I don't think it is the last 'winter steelhead' trip for him, but rather the last steelhead trip in winter for this season because it's now spring :)

M
Modest_Man
ChezJfrey said:
My guess is it was just tricky wording. I don't think it is the last 'winter steelhead' trip for him, but rather the last steelhead trip in winter for this season because it's now spring :)

Yep! Done targeting winter steelhead until November. I've got some extended trips up my sleeve in April and May for trout, and then a daughter coming in July so who know how much fishing I'll get in after that.

T
TimberTodd
Great looking trip. Someone else deserves the credit for the jig that was tied though. I havent tied any jigs for years. Glad it worked though.

M
Modest_Man
Whoops, Todd_Brooks tied it. Wrong Todd. Ha.

T
todd_brooks
Nice!