Large cooler deal

M
Modest_Man
Fisherman's Marine has the 120qt version on sale for 64.xx right now too. I grabbed one last week.

E
eugene1
That'll be plenty big!

I had a similar igloo for awhile but after a couple of years the plastic hinges wore out and the screw holes go stripped, so I couldn't replace them any longer.

Got a new igloo igloo cooler 110 quart "glide roller" with stainless hardware and it seems to be made better. Nice having it on wheels for when you move it while loaded.

Got it at costco a couple years back.

Take care,

B
bigboy70
there spendy but would love to get one of those yeti coolers

M
Modest_Man
eugene1 said:
That'll be plenty big!

I had a similar igloo for awhile but after a couple of years the plastic hinges wore out and the screw holes go stripped, so I couldn't replace them any longer.

Got a new igloo igloo cooler 110 quart "glide roller" with stainless hardware and it seems to be made better. Nice having it on wheels for when you move it while loaded.

Take care,

First thing I do is replace those crappy plastic clips and hinge.

E
eugene1
Might as well get a little use out of the factory supplied gear, MM!

Just keep the replacements on hand. J/K, really the stainless hardware is a no brainer around water, especially salt water environments.

Hope you're doing well,

Modest_Man said:
First thing I do is replace those crappy plastic clips and hinge.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
That'll be plenty big!

Take care,

yep, the hinges seem to be a known 'limited fatigue life' item, thinking about replacing them fairly quickly with some nice stainless ones, alternatively, the extra opening 'hatch' looks big enough to slide a nice sized salmon in without even opening the big lid.

the internal dimensions on the 110 qt. seems a little small, could get a little crowded in there, at least on our boat....:D

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
the internal dimensions on the 110 qt. seems a little small, could get a little crowded in there, at least on our boat....:D

LOL, good luck with that attitude this year!

J/K!

B
bigboy70
Dang what you doing towing that behind your kayak Roger lol

JK

J
JeannaJigs
cooler schmooler! I switched to a kill bag and never looked back!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
cooler schmooler! I switched to a kill bag and never looked back!

agreed, kill bag for sure is a great option and required for kayaks, I have a 'trout' bag (modified TraderJoes insulated bag) and this 'salmon' bag that I recommend, very impressed with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Angler-Ge...7041&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=off+shore+fish+bag

but 2 chinooks and the 'salmon' bag is full, heavy for 1 person to carry, and with fish over about 40" we had a big tail hanging out, plus not enough ice for a long day. we added the big cooler for PB to stay out longer and chase more fish knowing that any fish we catch early in the day will be well iced down...cheers

T
todd_brooks
I replaced my hinges with rectangles of rubber from an old bike tire when the originals broke. Works great and the price was right. I'm with you though Jeanna kill bag seems the way to go, lot less room taken up and you can keep the beer cans blood free.

M
Modest_Man
I've been keeping an eye on kill bags and a lot of people are complaining about them leaking after some use. Not something I'd like to leak in my trunk.

E
eugene1
Can't argue with that, MM!

Kill bags work great if kept in the boat or put in a pickup bed. Trunks are a no go.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Modest_Man said:
I've been keeping an eye on kill bags and a lot of people are complaining about them leaking after some use. Not something I'd like to leak in my trunk.

I have been very happy with kill bags but I always use them with the re-usable frozen ice packs (BiMart usually has a good deal on these), not loose ice, so no experience with them leaking water (no blood or fish slime has ever leaked out of mine), I really like them for shorter trips (<4hrs) and less than about 50# of fish.

The big cooler for us will provide all day on board cold storage so that when there are fish in river and some in the boat, we can keep at it and push for limits. Plus it stays in the boat for an easy 2 person off-load when we get home...