Lamiglas classic glass and Pro Kwik rods

S
Snappleninja
So I am looking for a Chinook float rod, and I was wondering how you guys though they'd work. I'd be using them mostly on the Sandy and Clackamas rivers, and maybe even out on the coast from time to time. My main concern(s) are obviously the actions on those rods are on the moderate side and how that would work with a float rod. My only other concern really is the lure weights they are rated for are in the 3/4-1oz range, and I am concerned my presentation weight might not fall into the rods rating window. I am not sure how much that matters or even what my presentation might end up weighing on those rivers. As you may have guessed I am a newbie to float fishing generally and salmon specifically so any info or tips would be helpful. thank you guys and gals in advance.

O
OnTheDrop
For float fishing for Salmon, you are looking more for a 'Broomstick' type rod. You will likely be using heavy braided line, 20-40lb leaders, and strong hooks. When that bobber goes down, you want immediate tension. A rod that isn't on the 'stiff' side, won't penetrate the fish AS well.

With that said, I would steer away from the glass series as they are pretty darn soft ( more of a bait & diver rod ) The kenai kwiks will do, I believe they make a 9'3 15-40lb rating that I see used with success.

T
troutmasta
I rock a 10' 6" 12-30 lamiglass redline. They don't make them any more I think, but you want something similar, a long rod with a lot of back bone for salmon fishing.

S
Snappleninja
OnTheDrop said:
For float fishing for Salmon, you are looking more for a 'Broomstick' type rod. You will likely be using heavy braided line, 20-40lb leaders, and strong hooks. When that bobber goes down, you want immediate tension. A rod that isn't on the 'stiff' side, won't penetrate the fish AS well.

With that said, I would steer away from the glass series as they are pretty darn soft ( more of a bait & diver rod ) The kenai kwiks will do, I believe they make a 9'3 15-40lb rating that I see used with success.

I was leaning toward the 10' 6" Pro Kwik rated for 15-30. It also has a moderate fast action like the other Lamiglas float rods so I think that's the route I'll go. My next question is, is it worth a trip up to Woodland from Portland to their outlet store for a rod?

T
taconight2night
I use an 8'6" Berkley Air Rod with extra heavy action. I love it!