Lake and fly suggestions for Olallie

G
Green_Tackle
I'm headed up to Olallie for the first time this week. Been wanting to go for years. I'll have my super ultra light spinning gear "just in case" but I want to focus on fly fishing this time. I'm looking for a little advice:

1. Recommendations on which lake has good fishing and camping that we can hike to.
2. Which fly patterns for fly fishing from the shore. I'll have a sink-tip and a floating line and I've got a bunch of wooley buggers and adams' tied up--but not much else. I've never fly fished in a lake before.

W
wozniasm
If you camp at Ollalie, there are several smaller lakes on the southside within hiking distance:
Long Lake
Dark lake
Lake Mary
Timber Lake View lake

NW Skyline Rd, Warm Springs, OR 97761United States 44.799311, -121.785533

Now, I don't have any information about them but you can mapqest ollalie and locate them for consideration.

I've seen many using a fly and bobber from shore at dusk. Just don't have any recommendations for patterns at this time.
Maybe damsel fly nymph and light spruce

Last edited:
Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
All of those pattern mentioned will work.. also have some Griffith Gnats for when they start sipping on the surface. Lower lake is a short hike as well

S
Socaaron
I've fished there before and it can be a slowish lake, trolling powerbait generally lands the "lunkers" as they stock brood trout there. But the small coves and inlets can be productive for smaller 10-13in rainbows but can be brushy and difficult for fly fishing, when fishing the surrounding lakes be mindful that some of them are on the Warm Springs Res. and require an additional fishing pass to be fished. Dark Lake is one of those but holds some really nice brookies!

G
Green_Tackle
Thanks everybody. I got back last night and here's my report--Awesome time!

The bite was on and everybody was catching fish with just about everything. The 8-10" stockers were caught consistently with powerbait off the bottom and worms under bobbers as you would expect. The slightly bigger fish--10-13" or so--were taken with worms and spinners from the bank. We were trolling a worm-tipped wedding ring and black/yellow wooley buggers and both were consistently getting hit within a few minutes. During the afternoon feeding frenzy a high concentration of fish were jumping and rising over a shallow point near the cabins. I had an epic couple of hours dry fly fishing with the griffin gnats and adams' being gobbled up like crazy. Mostly fished a parachute adams as it was the easiest to see in the glare and chop.

All three days seemed pretty productive with the bite never turning off for more than a couple of hours. The best part for me was catching fish on flies I tied for the first time.

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Good to hear man! Sounds like a solid trip!

O
OnTheFly
Nice to hear you did well. Any reports on the larger fish:?

G
Green_Tackle
Not a single person I talked to had caught or seen any of the lunkers. But then again, I'm not sure how many people were targeting the big boys.