Kayak Launching on Haag Lake

PhoFish
PhoFish
Hey fellow OFF members,

Is there an ideal spot to launch a kayak given the low water levels?

I tried the C ramp on Friday, but I had a lot of trouble getting my sportsman pdl 120 up on the cart to pull it back up the ramp - as I carted it down.. i was thinking I should not launch it all here cause it was so steep, but my maiden voyage could not be deterred.

I tried to get in view of the A ramp to see if it was as steep but didn't want to peddle over by the speed boats... and after the debacle trying to get my kayak up the ramp again, I just left frustrated, without checking the other ramp, assuming it was just as steep. Now I am at home contemplating because I want to go out fishing and I dont know of any other lakes besides Vernonia, which was very shallow.

Thank you in advance!

bass
bass
Both ramps are about the same. I use ramp C when I launch. In the fall it is not too crowded so when I leave I drive my truck down and pack up at water's edge. I hate the pull up the ramp when the water is low too!

Reactions: PhoFish
kemfish
kemfish
Same as Bass. I've gone in more of the off season and I just back my SUV down and offload the kayak, put my stuff together and tie it off to a dock then park. Just be considerate of the boaters by not being down there an excessive amount of time.
I have two techniques for getting my 106 onto a cart. first offload some stuff, especially the stuff in the back. Second use a kickstand. This levels the cart a little so you don't have to lift as high. In this picture I've added a couple blocks to level a little more, you'll get the same effect with the ramp's grade

kayak cart.jpeg

Reactions: PhoFish and troutdude
PhoFish
PhoFish
kemfish said:
Same as Bass. I've gone in more of the off season and I just back my SUV down and offload the kayak, put my stuff together and tie it off to a dock then park. Just be considerate of the boaters by not being down there an excessive amount of time.
I have two techniques for getting my 106 onto a cart. first offload some stuff, especially the stuff in the back. Second use a kickstand. This levels the cart a little so you don't have to lift as high. In this picture I've added a couple blocks to level a little more, you'll get the same effect with the ramp's grade

View attachment 640151
Thank Kem and Bass. Do you use the Navarre Kayak kickstand for your wilderness carts?
I pulled my truck down forwards and reversed back up the ramp to make it easier to get it up in the bed. It worked out wonderfully. Taking everything out helped a lot too, especially the PDL drive.

Thank you again!

Reactions: troutdude
kemfish
kemfish
I don't have a stand on my wilderness cart. I eyeballed the Navarre kickstand, but didn't pull the trigger due to the price. I do have have some of there other accessories, but seemed awl steep for a piece of plastic. Probably could create something if I tried that would work, but not be as clean looking. The cart with a stand is something I bought online through Home Depot (not a place you think of for kayak cart right?) and it came with the cart. Hadn't used the kickstand before, but it is useful.

PhoFish
PhoFish
any suggestions on other places to get out on my kayak with easy on/off water access? I am trying to stay out of the rough rivers as I have zero kayaking experience and want to avoid injury if possible. Some parts of the Colombia look good on videos, but i have no idea where people actually kayak. Again - thank you for all of your help, it is appreciated!

kemfish
kemfish
Not sure where you're at, I'm guessing Portland area because you're starting at Haag. I'm in Eugene so my regular spots may be out of your trip range.
If I was in Portland, I'd look at some of the Willamette river access. Some good fishing in there and is, as long as you'er not in the height of the spring floods, a very manageable river in a kayak. I've only gone out of Molalla river state park and Willamette park and Bennett landing. They were both okay launches and fine fishing. Looks like an interesting spot in Newberg too, but I haven't been.
Ollala reservoir near Newport has an easy launch with a good trout bite once they start stocking for the year. Some bass and tons of little perch too.
Down the highway, the Freeway lakes near Albany is an easy gravel launch with some crappie and bass fishing.

Sorry I don't have more up Portland way. Just don't get up there much. If you're somewhere else give me an idea and I'll make some other suggestions. Also your travel range. I'll drive quite a bit at times for some fishing, but I know not everyone wants too or has the time.
Don't be overly intimidated by the Columbia. Pay attention to winds, don't go out when the flow is super high and stay close to shore and in backwater areas. Too much good fishing there to just ignore. My river rule is to start upriver. That way if the current is too tough, it just pushes me back to the launch.

What has worked for me as I try new spot with potentially tougher conditions is I just move in conservatively, get a feel for the conditions and how they measure up to my abilities, then slowly expand what I'm doing as I get more comfortable and skilled. Don't jump right into trying to troll with the salmon fleet at drano lake you first trip. I put off trying the ocean thing for a good year and half before trying some estuary fishing on my own then going with someone in the bigger water. Pay attention to the conditions and things that look hard are more doable than they may first seem.

Also a buddy is a great way to figure things out and adds a measure of safety. Not as much on this board, but on the northwest kayakers site, many of the members will post when they're headed somewhere as an open invitation for others join. No reason not to do the same. Lot of people looking for fishing buddies. Worst case no one answers and you go fishing the way you were going to anyway.

PhoFish
PhoFish
kemfish said:
Not sure where you're at, I'm guessing Portland area because you're starting at Haag. I'm in Eugene so my regular spots may be out of your trip range.
If I was in Portland, I'd look at some of the Willamette river access. Some good fishing in there and is, as long as you'er not in the height of the spring floods, a very manageable river in a kayak. I've only gone out of Molalla river state park and Willamette park and Bennett landing. They were both okay launches and fine fishing. Looks like an interesting spot in Newberg too, but I haven't been.
Ollala reservoir near Newport has an easy launch with a good trout bite once they start stocking for the year. Some bass and tons of little perch too.
Down the highway, the Freeway lakes near Albany is an easy gravel launch with some crappie and bass fishing.

Sorry I don't have more up Portland way. Just don't get up there much. If you're somewhere else give me an idea and I'll make some other suggestions. Also your travel range. I'll drive quite a bit at times for some fishing, but I know not everyone wants too or has the time.
Don't be overly intimidated by the Columbia. Pay attention to winds, don't go out when the flow is super high and stay close to shore and in backwater areas. Too much good fishing there to just ignore. My river rule is to start upriver. That way if the current is too tough, it just pushes me back to the launch.

What has worked for me as I try new spot with potentially tougher conditions is I just move in conservatively, get a feel for the conditions and how they measure up to my abilities, then slowly expand what I'm doing as I get more comfortable and skilled. Don't jump right into trying to troll with the salmon fleet at drano lake you first trip. I put off trying the ocean thing for a good year and half before trying some estuary fishing on my own then going with someone in the bigger water. Pay attention to the conditions and things that look hard are more doable than they may first seem.

Also a buddy is a great way to figure things out and adds a measure of safety. Not as much on this board, but on the northwest kayakers site, many of the members will post when they're headed somewhere as an open invitation for others join. No reason not to do the same. Lot of people looking for fishing buddies. Worst case no one answers and you go fishing the way you were going to anyway.
Kem, This is great information. Until next summer, yes I am in Hillsboro, but hoping to move closer to more water once I do. I dont mind a day trip for fish and have been known to drive a bit excessively to get to those fisheries. I am a member now on NW Kayak Anglers, so I will keep my eye out for those invites.

I would love to get out for salmon, but yeah, that is a zoo out there from the times I have been on my friends boat, so I will just stick to a bit less combative fisheries for now. I would love to get out of pacific city or depoe bay for some rockfish - i dont know that i will be able to wait a year... but from what I have read.. its not really doable during the winter months?

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, its appreciated more than you know.

kemfish
kemfish
just have to watch the conditions for good days on the ocean. Little bit of an art to reading all the factors. I was fishing Winchester Bay in Jan/Feb this year.

This weekend is looking doable and I'm planning to fish out of Depot or Fogarty Saturday and PC Sunday. If you have the equipment you're welcome to join. Be forewarned, fishing the salt can be addicting.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I see quite a few kayak fishers launching for the Willamette at Cedar Oak in West Linn. Quite a bit of good bass habitat within a 1/2 mile of the ramp.

PhoFish
PhoFish
kemfish said:
just have to watch the conditions for good days on the ocean. Little bit of an art to reading all the factors. I was fishing Winchester Bay in Jan/Feb this year.

This weekend is looking doable and I'm planning to fish out of Depot or Fogarty Saturday and PC Sunday. If you have the equipment you're welcome to join. Be forewarned, fishing the salt can be addicting.
I am in the process of gathering all that you will need - expensive, but I guess cheaper than buying a boat still! Thank you for the invite for this weekend - once geared up, I will for sure join you - maybe a few weeks. Thanks again Kem!

PhoFish
PhoFish
fromthelogo said:
I see quite a few kayak fishers launching for the Willamette at Cedar Oak in West Linn. Quite a bit of good bass habitat within a 1/2 mile of the ramp.
awesome, thanks for this - just looking at it on the map, are the water levels high enough to make it up Oswego creek to the lake? I am assuming the Willamette will also not require a shuttle

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
It is not possible to paddle up the creek to the lake. Oswego Lake is a private lake. No shuttle needed on this part of the Willamette. The current is quite slow this time of year.

P
pcstock
At Hagg I have always use Ramp C. It is a VERY short walk from the prep area to the dock. Or just launch from the bank in the Main Parking lot. I generally avoid Hagg in the summer weekends.