Kayak fishing the Willy on 2-17 and 2-18

N
Noahk
My Dad and I fished the Willy on Friday from sun up until dark. It was his first time kayak fishing and his first time fishing in Oregon. We had a few nibbles throughout the day and I caught one 35" fish around 10:00. Toward the end of the day, maybe 4:30 or so I hooked another fish that felt really nice. Instead of letting the sleigh ride begin, I decided to hand the rod off to my dad and let him bring the fish. It was great to be able to return gesture that he had done hundreds of times for me growing up. I think the photos tell the rest of the story. 44" keeper.

IMG00136-20120217-1621.jpg

IMG00137-20120217-1622.jpg

IMG00142-20120217-1657.jpg

IMG00145-20120217-1657.jpg

On Saturday the fishing slowed most of the day but heated up toward the end of the day. My cousin joined us and the three kayaks fished together throughout the day. We had a few bites and I caught one tiny shaker around mid-day. After getting broken off by an oversized fish my cousin also hooked into a nice 42" keeper. It was also his first fish from a kayak and first fish caught in Oregon. Overall we caught 4 fish over two days but it wasn't bad that two of them ended up being keepers! It was a hard two days of fishing but still a blast!

100_0017.jpg
100_0025.jpg

Can you say a little excited?
IMG00154-20120218-1943.jpg

R
rippin fish lips
I love your posts, and like your style of fishing. It Looks and sounds so fun! I will have to try it some day. Epic report.

N
Noahk
rippin fish lips said:
I love your posts, and like your style of fishing. It Looks and sounds so fun! I will have to try it some day. Epic report.
Thanks man. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to give some yak fishing around pdx a try. I've got an extra boat and plenty of extra gear. C&R Sturgeon is always a blast and the Springers are starting to show up :)

G
gloomis85
Nice work, those sleigh rides sound like a damn good time, can't wait to get into an oversize dinosaur. Still a few months out for me down this way!

E
eugene1
Good for you and your dad! Looks like a blast.

bass
bass
Great job getting your dad and cousin into fish!

S
Santiam338
Looks like fun guys...I have a question on how much current is down there...Sometimes my buddies with the power boats can't go when I could and have often thought of taking my driftboat down there and row,trolling for springers...Just can't remember what the current is like and how much the tide effects it...

Who better to ask than the kayak guys..;)

Thanks

N
Noahk
The tide does have an impact but the current for the most part is pretty mild, especially when the river is low. I've seen plenty of drift boats with small kickers or electric motors. If you had a motor i wouldn't think you would have any issue going after springers. Without one it might be a bit more challenging.

N
Noahk
Shoot me a PM if you ever do make it up, I'd be happy to share all of my limited Springer knowledge :)

S
Santiam338
Thanks...I don't have a motor and rowing all day is not a problem for me,unless the current is to strong...LOL

Sometimes on the days I can go,my buddies can't...Then the only option is my driftboat...Just wondering and thinking out loud...

N
Noahk
Hmm. There are a couple of spots you could fish that are pretty close to the ramps, but they can get pretty crowed. It might be a bit of an issue when you hook a fish, if you're not able to control the boat after that. Or maybe you can? I've never actually been in a drift boat. Hit me up if you ever want to give it a shot. I also have a spare kayak if you ever want to try that too.

C_Run
C_Run
Great to get your relatives into some fish. You braving the elements to tag one yourself this weekend? Hope so.

N
Noahk
They closed it for this weekend :( Let me know if you want to come up for some C&R with your son.