JC Pond Steelhaed

N
nwkiller
hes hooked for life.

G
grampa ron
For all you disbelievers. it was in such good condition when I was getting ready to leave it had to go back. Probly would'nt have been very good to eat anyway. It's still in there. I saw it 2 days ago.

B
bran_man
troutramp said:
Will that fish live after being released after being on the stringer? I am just asking cause I dont know?
Everyone on here is saying that it will prob die. I disagree. Not sure if these other people steelhead fish much, or know much about them but steelhead are extremely resilient fish! They go through a lot out in the ocean and all the traveling they do and they are VERY tough! A little time on a stringer is nothing for a steelhead. Except of course if the gills were damaged which looks like they were untouched in the picture.

B
bran_man
Y
Yohan
bran_man said:
Everyone on here is saying that it will prob die. I disagree. Not sure if these other people steelhead fish much, or know much about them but steelhead are extremely resilient fish! They go through a lot out in the ocean and all the traveling they do and they are VERY tough! A little time on a stringer is nothing for a steelhead. Except of course if the gills were damaged which looks like they were untouched in the picture.

This comment is absolutely outrageous. Yes, steelhead are tough, but there is NO WAY you can determine, with any certainty, that the gills of that fish were not damaged by looking at a picture. You don't know what happened to the gills when the fish was being attached to the stringer, hung up, and then detached and eventually let go. You also don't know if there was any transfer of bacteria from the stringer to the gills. You also don't know if the fish's protective slime was removed from being handled, which also increases the chance of a bacterial infection (and no a fish does not immediately die from a bacterial infection; it is a slow death). I don't care how "tough" a fish is, damaged gills (you said it yourself) or a bacterial infection will kill any fish. Yes, the fish might live, but definitely not with the chances it would have had if the fish was properly handled.

Grampa Ron, I'm not trying to attack you in any way. That is an awesome fish and I applaud you for catching it. I also understand that a C&R fish is not guaranteed to live even if it was properly handled. I'm just trying to point out, and educate others on this board, that if you're going to put a fish on the stringer you should keep it. If you're going to let it go, it should be properly handled (wet your hands before touching, try to keep it in the water as much as possible, etc.) and not put it on a stringer.

troutdude
troutdude
Why is it, that several peeps on here keep thinking that they are the Catch & Release Police? You say you "aren't attacking" Grampa Ron. BULL SHIPOOPY!!!

It wasn't your damn fish. So, don't tell Ron what he should have done with the fish that HE caught! It was his decision to make, NOT yours!

You won't like it when peeps start telling you, what to do with your fish. Will you? So, don't tell someone else what to do!

Damn, this crap is getting really old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
bran_man
Yohan said:
This comment is absolutely outrageous. Yes, steelhead are tough, but there is NO WAY you can determine, with any certainty, that the gills of that fish were not damaged by looking at a picture. You don't know what happened to the gills when the fish was being attached to the stringer, hung up, and then detached and eventually let go. You also don't know if there was any transfer of bacteria from the stringer to the gills. You also don't know if the fish's protective slime was removed from being handled, which also increases the chance of a bacterial infection (and no a fish does not immediately die from a bacterial infection; it is a slow death). I don't care how "tough" a fish is, damaged gills (you said it yourself) or a bacterial infection will kill any fish. Yes, the fish might live, but definitely not with the chances it would have had if the fish was properly handled.

Grampa Ron, I'm not trying to attack you in any way. That is an awesome fish and I applaud you for catching it. I also understand that a C&R fish is not guaranteed to live even if it was properly handled. I'm just trying to point out, and educate others on this board, that if you're going to put a fish on the stringer you should keep it. If you're going to let it go, it should be properly handled (wet your hands before touching, try to keep it in the water as much as possible, etc.) and not put it on a stringer.

wow dude, I'm sorry that I voiced my opinion. What was I thinking? Of course all the things you mentioned are a possibility, but highly unlikely. Ps. You definitely can see that he is using a snap stringer which is going through the jaw not the gills. I do agree that if it were myself personally I would have kept it once I strung it. But it wasn't either of us who caught it so don't take it to heart so much. I have my opinion just as much as the next person on here including you. Please stop crying and let's agree to disagree..

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:
Why is it, that several peeps on here keep thinking that they are the Catch & Release Police? You say you "aren't attacking" Grampa Ron. BULL SHIPOOPY!!!

It wasn't your damn fish. So, don't tell Ron what he should have done with the fish that HE caught! It was his decision to make, NOT yours!

You won't like it when peeps start telling you, what to do with your fish. Will you? So, don't tell someone else what to do!

Damn, this crap is getting really old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody gives a damn if he kept it or released it the point is it's probably not going to survive after you take it out of the water and put it on a damn stringer then decide to release it. At that point releasing it was pointless, whether it was a steelhead or a brooder it was fairly close to the end of its life to begin with.it likely won't be able to revive from having been put on a stringer.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm sorry, but it really did seem like you were attacking Ron and his decision. And there's been several peeps in recent days, who have been doing that very thing. Yours has not been the first, but one in a string. I'm all for an open forum, but attacking peeps for their "catch decisions" really is getting old.

Voicing opinions, in other words, is one thing. But, beating someone up for a decision that was there's alone to make; is not my idea of voicing an opinion. Rather, it is cramming your opinion down someone else's throat. Isn't there something more productive that can be discussed (that doesn't provoke drama)?

That's the angle from whence I troll.

B
bigsteel
troutdude said:
I'm sorry, but it really did seem like you were attacking Ron and his decision. And there's been several peeps in recent days, who have been doing that very thing. Yours has not been the first, but one in a string. I'm all for an open forum, but attacking peeps for their "catch decisions" really is getting old.

Voicing opinions, in other words, is one thing. But, beating someone up for a decision that was there's alone to make; is not my idea of voicing an opinion. Rather, it is cramming your opinion down someone else's throat. Isn't there something more productive that can be discussed (that doesn't provoke drama)?

That's the angle from whence I troll.
nobody is beating him up,,,there simply saying if your gonna catch and release a fish then DONT put it on a stringer then release it back in the water....i dont understand why some people can't understand that......catch and release is not rocket science

Y
Yohan
troutdude said:

I’m not beating him up (I could care less if he kept it legally or released it) and I’m not trying to be the catch and release police, I’m just saying if you’re going to release a fish don’t put it on a stringer. I understand it was not my fish, but I think it is valid to point out that a fish on a stringer probably should not go back in the water. Also, I would welcome anyone to tell me if I was improperly handling a fish that I was going to release because I care about fisheries and want them to be around for long time…

bran_man said:
wow dude, I'm sorry that I voiced my opinion. What was I thinking? Of course all the things you mentioned are a possibility, but highly unlikely. Ps. You definitely can see that he is using a snap stringer which is going through the jaw not the gills. I do agree that if it were myself personally I would have kept it once I strung it. But it wasn't either of us who caught it so don't take it to heart so much. I have my opinion just as much as the next person on here including you. Please stop crying and let's agree to disagree..

Definitely not crying and I certainly can agree to disagree with you. Just pointing out that your claim that the gills (or any part of the fish) were unharmed just by looking at a picture was ridiculous…

beaverfan said:
Nobody gives a damn if he kept it or released it the point is it's probably not going to survive after you take it out of the water and put it on a damn stringer then decide to release it. At that point releasing it was pointless, whether it was a steelhead or a brooder it was fairly close to the end of its life to begin with.it likely won't be able to revive from having been put on a stringer.

Exactly my point

bigsteel said:
nobody is beating him up,,,there simply saying if your gonna catch and release a fish then DONT put it on a stringer then release it back in the water....i dont understand why some people can't understand that......catch and release is not rocket science

This too

Again I don’t care if people want to keep fish legally, it’s their right. I do object to people mishandling fish that they are going to release because that eventually could affect me by getting the fishery closed down. I’m not saying that’s going to happen at JC pond, I don’t even know where that is at, but I’m talking in general. I was just using this situation as an example of what not to do; go ask any fish biologist, they’ll tell you the same. If you’re going to keep a fish (ie. put it on a stringer) than keep it. If you’re going to release it than try to properly handle the fish so it has the best chance to survive.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Yohan said:

well said. :clap:

F
fishyden
Either way it osprey and duck food

R
rippin fish lips
fishyden said:
Either way it osprey and duck food

yep! and either way it prolly didn't have much of a life left in that nasty pond with no oxygen. Nice fish! now ppl should stop flaming him about putting it on the stringer then letting it go. Atleast give him props for pulling a steelhead this late out of that pond... I have nevere pulled a steelhead outa that pond so i give this guy PROPS!! Way to get the fish bro!!

This thread has been hijacked so why dont we all shut up bout him letting it go off the stringer and congradulate him on the fish!!

D
Drew9870
String through your lungs - No Bueno.

troutdude
troutdude
rippin fish lips said:
yep! and either way it prolly didn't have much of a life left in that nasty pond with no oxygen. Nice fish! now ppl should stop flaming him about putting it on the stringer then letting it go. Atleast give him props for pulling a steelhead this late out of that pond... I have nevere pulled a steelhead outa that pond so i give this guy PROPS!! Way to get the fish bro!!

This thread has been hijacked so why dont we all shut up bout him letting it go off the stringer and congradulate him on the fish!!

VERY WELL SAID RFL!!! THANK YOU. It was a nice fish, and then it DID get hijacked by pointless remarks.

G
grampa ron
You all need to get over it! I saw it again today, looks fine to me.

troutdude
troutdude
grampa ron said:
you all need to get over it! I saw it again today, looks fine to me.

ROTFL!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

F
fishyden
grampa ron said:
You all need to get over it! I saw it again today, looks fine to me.

I bet it learned it lesson bout flies.lol.
Any way i'v seen all the stuff you post about the pond like chasing away snaggers and annoying birds and would like to say thanks for caring about the place.

Last edited: