I've been loving the sturgeon bite lately

M
minnowmagnet
These photos are terrible because it was raining so hard last Sunday that the camera was all fogged up. This one tugged the old kayak around a bit but decided to pose for a photo after about 20 min. There was no one out on the river for the outgoing tide, and the fish were jumping like dolphins on the Willamette.

• DSCN3324.jpg
  • DSCN3327.jpg
Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Great job MM! That is a beast. Got to love the sleigh ride. Man, Saturday was such a drag up around GR. Nice to see that you killed on Sunday!

J
joesnuffy
That's a nice fish. Do you have a guess on the length of it? I've got to get back over there for some more sturgeon.

2stroke
Nice. I was on the willamette Saturtaday too. My biggest was 68"

M
minnowmagnet
joesnuffy said:
That's a nice fish. Do you have a guess on the length of it? I've got to get back over there for some more sturgeon.
I didn't measure, but it was probably close to 6'. It's really about the girth anyway. Of course, they always grow a little after the fact....

bass
bass
Once again great job! We're the fish deep or shallow? Did you have to search around much for biters? Did you catch them on the incoming, outgoing or both? What was the current like? Thanks for any info'

M
minnowmagnet
It sure seems that the fish are biting way better on the outgoing tide. Not just more bites, but more hungry bites. Lately, I have been fishing between 45 and 70 feet of water, again noticing a better percentage of large fish in the shallower water. I have been avoiding the really deep holes because I tend to get pestered to death by shakers in the deep spots. It has been really amazing to me the amount of keepers and bigger that I hooked this October. If this is the result of stricter sturgeon management, then I am all for it. I'd rather just keep one a year and have a blast releasing them the rest of the time. I hope my saying that doesn't bother anyone. I always fish herring because it always works, is available, and doesn't smell as bad as squid. I can still barely hook a bass to save my life, even though I am from the deep south originally.
bass said:
Once again great job! We're the fish deep or shallow? Did you have to search around much for biters? Did you catch them on the incoming, outgoing or both? What was the current like? Thanks for any info'

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
It sure seems that the fish are biting way better on the outgoing tide. Not just more bites, but more hungry bites. Lately, I have been fishing between 45 and 70 feet of water, again noticing a better percentage of large fish in the shallower water. I have been avoiding the really deep holes because I tend to get pestered to death by shakers in the deep spots. It has been really amazing to me the amount of keepers and bigger that I hooked this October. If this is the result of stricter sturgeon management, then I am all for it. I'd rather just keep one a year and have a blast releasing them the rest of the time. I hope my saying that doesn't bother anyone. I always fish herring because it always works, is available, and doesn't smell as bad as squid. I can still barely hook a bass to save my life, even though I am from the deep south originally.

Thanks for the info. I agree that the sturgeon fishing in the river this year has been pretty great for quality fish. I think letting the fishery recover is a good thing. I want my kids to be able to enjoy great sturgeon fishing all their lives.

Your comment about the bass and growing up in the South made me laugh. Maybe you just did not eat enough pulled pork growing up :) The bass bite is definitely pretty minimal in the river until next spring. Next year we will have to take a few more trips chasing bass. Like most fishing for most species, once you get some confidence in your technique it gets a lot easier.

bass
bass
Hey minnowmagnet, check your PM.

R
Ryanfishpart2
Nice pull!