It is open!

T
trollin4trout
FishSchooler said:
I might go on sunday...

On this map, that little cove thing right below sain creek is where you caught that?
And the road that you talked about is at the overlook or boat ramp a?

Yes and yes!

BTW- went Saturday again and nearly got skunked. Buddy caught two stockers about 5:30pm and that was it. Heard of many who got skunked that day. Some bankies with chartreuse powerbait were catching a few.

Jim

F
FishSchooler
Looks like the lake is gettin fished out already. I guess I'll wait for after the 30th when they stock it again. :cool:

T
trollin4trout
There's NO WAY it's fished out. They put at least 18,000 in there and the fishing....er catching hasn't been very good yet- possibly because of the cold water. So not that many have been caught yet. Also, the fish finder showed hundreds of fish everywhere you go in the lake. They are there- just lip-locked at the moment.

Couldn't help but notice the MASS numbers of swallows feeding IN the water on Saturday. They were scooping bugs off the surface of the lake. Maybe the fish are eating these thousands of emerging insects before they get to the top and are not the least bit hungry for our offerings? That was the most swallows I've seen anywhere at one time.

Jim

H
Hawk
swallows are crazy birds. They make nests under bridges, house eaves, etc........................:D

F
FishSchooler
Do the boats you rent at hagg have some sort of fish finder or something? Does anyone have a pic of one of the boats?
It will be the first time fishing for trout off a boat. I dont know what depth they'll hang out at, dunno how fast troll, but a boat will give me the ability to get to the unreachable fish (from the bank), and the big ones.

M
mudslinging79
no they do not have fish finders. i dont have a picture, but they have a couple of pontoon party boats, and some small, bout 14 footers, almopst like a johnboat. i believe they all have a 9.9 horse motor, so no boaters card is required.
your best bet is to make friends with someomne that has a boat with a finder, split the gas and you will come out better than paying their outragous boat rental prices, for they dont kiss you afterwords, or buy you flowers.

F
FishSchooler
At least they have motors and walls to keep me dry... Guess I'll have to experiment.
How deep are they hanging out in the freezin water?

M
mudslinging79
im sorry, i had hagg mixed up with north fork for some reason. so take the boat info and apply it to north fork and youll be set.

O
OutforTrout
I made it out Saturday.. ok weather but people weren't catching much. I only stayed around 3 hours. A LOT of people out there this weekend. We might have to bring some heaters out there and warm it up ourselves. :D

T
trollin4trout
FishSchooler said:
At least they have motors and walls to keep me dry... Guess I'll have to experiment.
How deep are they hanging out in the freezin water?

As a general rule- the colder the water- the closer to the surface you''ll find them. If you put you hand in the water and it feels like bath water- you need to get down deeper. Without a depthfinder, all you do is trial and error. Strip 20 "pulls" off your reel and fish 15 minutes- if that don't work strip out another 10 "pulls" for another 15 and so on until you find a fish.

As you've heard here- just because a fishfinder says there's fish down there- doesn't mean you're gonna catch'em! At least half the time my sonar is a lying piece of crap!!!!!:lol: What it does seem to do is give you a false sense of confidence to keep trying different techniques again and again, since you can see where they are, until your head is bloody from beating it against the wall for hours on end:confused:

F
FishSchooler
trollin4trout said:
As a general rule- the colder the water- the closer to the surface you''ll find them. If you put you hand in the water and it feels like bath water- you need to get down deeper. Without a depthfinder, all you do is trial and error. Strip 20 "pulls" off your reel and fish 15 minutes- if that don't work strip out another 10 "pulls" for another 15 and so on until you find a fish.

As you've heard here- just because a fishfinder says there's fish down there- doesn't mean you're gonna catch'em! At least half the time my sonar is a lying piece of crap!!!!!:lol: What it does seem to do is give you a false sense of confidence to keep trying different techniques again and again, since you can see where they are, until your head is bloody from beating it against the wall for hours on end:confused:

ye...
I'm going to probably rig my 12 lb line with a big lure and the 8 lb with the small lures. Would the big ones hold deeper?

T
trollin4trout
So far, the big ones we caught were in the top five feet of water.

F
FishSchooler
trollin4trout said:
So far, the big ones we caught were in the top five feet of water.

Awesome..........
Weather's lookin good for thurs/fri/sat.
:dance:

G
Geko125
:yay:
Weather is look good for Friday, which when I think I may go up

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the neighborhood

Welcome to the neighborhood

Geko125 said:
:yay:
Weather is look good for Friday, which when I think I may go up

Geko125;
Welcome to one very friendly neighborhood with a bunch of friendly neighbors who are just waiting to help any way we can. Just ask. Good luck on Friday,though I would take rain gear "just in case". Be safe.
Barb

kidholiday
kidholiday
any one catching any bass out of there yet? I planning on going on Monday, will try for some bass first and then switch to some trout fishing or Crappie fishing.

J
JASMINE
I was out there yesterday from about 3-7, tried pretty much for bass only, used speed traps, some lipless cranks, and some swim baits, not a bite!! And some lizards via drop shot. Water still felt pretty cold. Hopefully the bass will be out soon!

Troutski
Troutski
Optimism...

Optimism...

JASMINE said:
I was out there yesterday from about 3-7, tried pretty much for bass only, used speed traps, some lipless cranks, and some swim baits, not a bite!! And some lizards via drop shot. Water still felt pretty cold. Hopefully the bass will be out soon!

Oh the endless optimism of the Bass angler...Spring is here - the weather just wasn't informed of it ;)

Chuck

W
Webwader
I blanked there yesterday too but my son caught a 15 1/4" smallie.

F
FishSchooler
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Going tomorrow to hagg, planning to rent a boat.

I have some lures i would like to troll (some big and small)
First is a 2 inch blue/silver rapala and a 4 inch black/silver rapala

Then there are spinners. I have small spinners and a lot of size 4-5 spinners. I also can use worms. Any recommendations.

oh, and how to rig too, thanks :) Cause I never trolled before. :shock:

Last edited: