Is this rod good for steelhead

Y
Youngfishermen
Hey I was wondering if this rod is fine for steelhead fishing.
It's a Shimano Zenora Medium Fast Action Fast Line 10-20lb Lure 1/4-1oz DSC02438.JPGDSC02439.JPG

W
waco
Perfect for bobber fishing!

F
FishFinger
Yes, fish it with confidence. It should work well.

Y
Youngfishermen
thank you

Y
Youngfishermen
thanx as well

hobster
hobster
It'll work but they are lot more fun on a 8-12 lb rod or lighter. I use a 8-12 for my bobber rod and spinner rod and I use a 4-10 lb for drifting which is a blast and has a lot more sensitivity. The 10-20 wouldn't be so great for drifting, you'd probably loose a lot of fish. Hope you get some!

D
DrTheopolis
That's a Cadillac compared to some of the junk I've fished with over the years. I seem to have a better knack than most for breaking nice graphite rods, so the POS Ugly Stick comes back out (horrible rods, but you can jump up and down on the suckers, making them an outystanding backup rod).

A friend of mine always says (in regards to golf, but seems appropriate for fishing, too) - "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."

You'll love it. And someday, you'll probably find one you love even more. Rods are like women -- they just keep making more of them.

T
troutmasta
I use a 10-25 for bobber fishing. That puppy should be perfect. You could pull some plugs with it too.

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
You could pull some plugs with it too.

Backtrolling from a driftboat?

I'm an absolute light gear nut, but when backtrolling from a DB, it's done with heavy action rods and we figure we're fishing light with 30#. A medium rod would be doubled-over pulling K11s, you'd probably never even notice a bite until it broke the rod.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
Backtrolling from a driftboat?

I'm an absolute light gear nut, but when backtrolling from a DB, it's done with heavy action rods and we figure we're fishing light with 30#. A medium rod would be doubled-over pulling K11s, you'd probably never even notice a bite until it broke the rod.
I have a 10-25 8 foot Lami. I've caught multipile fish on it on the plug. I dont back troll em from a drift boat as much as run them down seams from the bank but It would be great for a wobbler or a plug if you ask me.

D
DrTheopolis
Sounds perfect for what you're using it for - a technique I need to learn better, for sure.

I equate the term "pulling plugs" with backtrolling, for which his rod (and likely yours) would be worthless. It's about the only time I'll fish anything ridiculously heavy. 30# is pretty much ultra-lighting it for backtrolling Kwiks... but it's how I roll.

T
troutmasta
Lamiiglass does make a Kwik Series (for pulling Kwiks) thats an 8" 10-20 mod-fast action for small-med plugs. Ive pulled plugs from Drifters with lighter gear then Heavy actions.
I use the term "pulling" lightly though.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I've used an 8-12 8'6 lami i used for steelhead, pulling k16 plugs and its unreal when a fish hits. Heavy rods are not always necessary. Obviously they make fighting the fish much easier but to say they won't work isn't true of every light rod. That said I typically run heavy gear these days because I don't like the fish winning

D
DrTheopolis
Goofy -- I think you guys are crazy for bank fishing so heavy for chinook, and I think you're crazy for fishing that light backtrolling plugs.

Ain't fishing grand?

J
JeannaJigs
Not saying I make a habit of it, just saying it can be done with good results and no broken rods. I run the same weight of gear on the bank and in my boat. No messing around with light gear for coastal fish.

D
DrTheopolis
JeannaJigs said:
No messing around with light gear for coastal fish.

OK, I've posted here long enough (IMHO), that I'll trash talk -- let's go bankfishing on a coastal river, you take your 25# or whatever, and I'll spool up 8 or 10... let's see who hooks more.

If I sound cocky, it's because I've played this game so many times, it makes me laugh. Been with so many... "old schoolers," or whatever that train of thought is, and seen how this deal goes down.

BUT... I ain't better than you, and couldn't care less how you fish. If you boat/bank fish and you know your deal, stick with it. I'm not here to judge - just give you a hard time. My deal is my deal, yours is yours, and they both rock. I'm just sayin' than anyone who thinks lighter gear doesn't hook more fish isn't quite thinking right. I don't care where and whatf you're fishing for -- pretty much a universal rule -- hard to argue. And a rarely pop a button. But I guess we can't all be zenmasters of the fight, right? So do what works for you.

I just want us all to have a good time and catch fish. And if someone can learn from my years of beating wateer to death, I'm happy, since I learn something on this site every time I log in. And for this, I thank you all.

hobster
hobster
Agree. ^^ Whats funny is the guy never told us what type of fishing he was doing. If you are bank fishing and drifting light gear is the only way to go imho. I've fished with heavy ugy sticks and light Lami and I love the light gear. Way more hook ups!

M
markasd
Yes, that rod is good for steelhead! It will catch a steelhead when fished proper.