Is Olallie the best bet for fishing from a canoe?

P
pdxscott
After scouring the internet for some insight on where to fish here in Oregon, I came upon this gem of a site. It's pretty awesome that there is a community that is so forthcoming with sharing their fishing holes - I want to be a part.

Being new to Oregon, I can't offer much in this neck of the woods, but if you want to know about eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island, I'm your man.

All that being said, my buddy is visiting from the east coast this weekend. We have a canoe and a dog and would love to find a lake with decent fishing, a ban on motorized boats, and quiet camping. Is Olallie lake the best bet? We are willing to drive about 2.5 hours from Portland in any direction. Though we don't have much experience with trout, we'd like to try our hand at them for a couple of days.

E
eggs
Olallie is a perfect canoe lake... and the views of mt. Jefferson and everything is unmatched. Crystal clear water and a sandy bottom w/ not a weed... you will not be disappointed! Check with the ollalie resort or forest service to see which campgrounds are open.. I was there a few weeks ago and still lots of snow.. but it has been hot so they might be open now. Good luck!

P
pdxscott
Thanks, eggs!

I think I'll give the forest service a call when I have a chance tomorrow. If it's still snowy, is there anywhere else you might suggest in the same general area?

E
eggs
If that doesn't work out.. Lost Lake(the Mt. Hood one) would be my next suggestion.. again another great lake w/ no motors. It will have a few more people there, but still will be a quite and enjoyable time. And a picture perfect view of Mt. Hood.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
If you go to Ollalie, DO bring mosquito repellent...the good stuff and lots of it.

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
No_Bad_Skunks said:
If you go to Ollalie, DO bring mosquito repellent...the good stuff and lots of it.

Man added words worth gold! (And its at $1585/oz right now)

M
Markcanby
Im sorry but with the spring I would ca mp up there even if you soak me in a bathtub of bug spray for 2 days before. IT is a great place an one of my Favorites but I would not camp there. Last year just after the snow melted I went up an had a great day ON THE WATER. I had to come to shore to take a leak an thought I would need a transfusion. I had top back to my Toon an row as fast as I could to escape the cloud chasing me from the woods.

Reactions: eggs
H
halibuthitman
chain smoke clove ciggarettes-

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
halibuthitman said:
chain smoke clove ciggarettes-

LOL! Even that might not be enough.

I was at Ollalie over 4th of July weekend. I've seen thicker clouds of mosquitoes, but I've never seen them as persistent as they were on this lake. Any tiny spot I missed with the repellent, they would manage to find