In search of new fish species

T
tgerke1
I am in a little competition with friends spread across the country and am looking to nail down a few new fish species and would like to solicit help! If you know any locations particularly in and around Portland where these can be found, I would appreciate input. If you want to come with I'll buy you some beer too!

I really want to find somewhere near Portland and easy to get Brook trout if possible.
Bull trout would be nice.
Yellow perch near portland would help.
I'm also looking for:
white crappie
warmouth, redear, or other perch-like fish not including pumpkinseed, black crappie, bluegill.
creek chubs, shiners, daces, etc.

Anything out of the ordinary.

F
Fishpdx
Brook trout can be found in clackamas river just above north fork reservoir I fished north fork and caught like 3 of them on a worm. But If I was you I would take a drive up to Clear lake in mount hood and fish near the creek in the winter using worms,crappie jigs or salad shrimp. I did some ice fishing 2 years ago there and caught a nice 20 inch brook.

Yellow Perch can be found mostly anywhere on the willamette/columbia I fish for perch in January near oaks bottom refugee , if you park at oaks park you can go on the trail and walk until the houses on the water end and you will see the tube that connects the pond with river and fish there closer to the houses, the water is warmer there and you can catch some nice sized perch sometimes you'll get a jumbo perch using a worm off the bottom, also you will catch a lot of whitefish,largescale suckers,carp,catfish.
In the springtime if there's water flowing from the tube you can catch lot's of white crappie and smallmouth bass, I caught a 19 inch crappie there using a glow in the dark crappie jig.

Warmouth I caught only 1 small one in clackamas cove where the creek enters the clackamas river, I was catching bluegill/bass there and caught a small warmouth.

T
tgerke1
Well, that's pretty awesome tips. If i can go there to maybe catch whitefish, perch, white crappie, and suckers I'll be all over it! Those will all be new for me. You fish in Oaks bottom or out at the Willamette river where it connects to Oaks Bottom?

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably try to hit this up one evening this week if I can.
:thumb:

Carp said:
Brook trout can be found in clackamas river just above north fork reservoir I fished north fork and caught like 3 of them on a worm. But If I was you I would take a drive up to Clear lake in mount hood and fish near the creek in the winter using worms,crappie jigs or salad shrimp. I did some ice fishing 2 years ago there and caught a nice 20 inch brook.

Yellow Perch can be found mostly anywhere on the willamette/columbia I fish for perch in January near oaks bottom refugee , if you park at oaks park you can go on the trail and walk until the houses on the water end and you will see the tube that connects the pond with river and fish there closer to the houses, the water is warmer there and you can catch some nice sized perch sometimes you'll get a jumbo perch using a worm off the bottom, also you will catch a lot of whitefish,largescale suckers,carp,catfish.
In the springtime if there's water flowing from the tube you can catch lot's of white crappie and smallmouth bass, I caught a 19 inch crappie there using a glow in the dark crappie jig.

Warmouth I caught only 1 small one in clackamas cove where the creek enters the clackamas river, I was catching bluegill/bass there and caught a small warmouth.

F
Fishpdx
I fish out at the river , I went there 2 weeks ago and caught a bunch of carp and suckers using boilies and corn, also caught a nice sized smallie near the tube of the right side in the stumps . crappie was quiet 2 weeks ago but should pick up on warmer days, perch I don't fish for them often (only in winter time) so no idea if they going to bite.
Remember left side of the tube is warmer so it's better to fish in winter time, right side its better during summer because of the stumps and rocks and the creek, fish go in the creek to lay their eggs in the springtime thats when crappie bite.

troutdude
troutdude
Hagg Lake, has several species; and isn't too far to go.

S
sapo
What TD said ^^ You'll probably find the biggest variety of species at Hagg lake or the Tualatin river.

For brook trout..Head to mirror lake, it's a mile before gov't camp..you can catch at least 30 or 40 brookies there a day.

You're not gonna find bull trout anywhere near Portland, and most places it's illegal to target them.

I've caught some weird fish in Fanno creek..on a fly rod, no less.

M
Modest_Man
The Willamette River has ~65 species in it. Do you need to catch them on a rod?

T
tgerke1
Needs to be on a fly rod. Bottom feeders will be tough. But any locations with some weird ones I'm interested in knowing.

Modest_Man said:
The Willamette River has ~65 species in it. Do you need to catch them on a rod?

T
tgerke1
Thanks for the tip on Mirror lake.

Bull trout - yeah, that's what i've gathered but have read Billy Chinook lake is one of the few places you can go get them.

Fanno is very conveniently located. I've tried it once but the water way really really tiny and I only say one little bitty fish chase my fly. I was real close to where it meets the Tualatin. I'll probably try it again some evening with some smaller flies. At the time I was looking for pikeminnows so was throwing small streamers.

sapo said:
What TD said ^^ You'll probably find the biggest variety of species at Hagg lake or the Tualatin river.

For brook trout..Head to mirror lake, it's a mile before gov't camp..you can catch at least 30 or 40 brookies there a day.

You're not gonna find bull trout anywhere near Portland, and most places it's illegal to target them.

I've caught some weird fish in Fanno creek..on a fly rod, no less.

F
FishNinja
St Louis ponds thirty minutes south of portland has white crappie warmouth red ears and some other cool fish.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

T
tgerke1
FishNinja: thanks for the tip. I tried that place out one time earlier in the summer and caught a slew of bluegill but that was it. It sounds like it might be worth another visit...

FishNinja said:
St Louis ponds thirty minutes south of portland has white crappie warmouth red ears and some other cool fish.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

J
jarhead2
tgerke1, where you located? Looks like in Portland. Want to be as close to you as possible with any suggestions. Know of many crappie and warmouth hangouts. If you want multi-species, try Willow BAr area of Sauvie's, just past the marina and across the mouth of that small bay. Everything from walleye to flounder! Might have to walk a ways, tho. Parking is at a premium and you will need your wildlife preserve parking permit, I think. There used to be some pretty good butter clams at that beach, as well. Have not fished there in many years. Pat

T
tgerke1
Jarhead2, yes I'm in Portland. I would love suggestions on warmouth and crappie. I'm planning on devoting most of Saturday to this endeavor. I might try to hit up Willow Bar soon. Do you fish the river side or the inlet side? It's not too late in the year is it?

jarhead2 said:
tgerke1, where you located? Looks like in Portland. Want to be as close to you as possible with any suggestions. Know of many crappie and warmouth hangouts. If you want multi-species, try Willow BAr area of Sauvie's, just past the marina and across the mouth of that small bay. Everything from walleye to flounder! Might have to walk a ways, tho. Parking is at a premium and you will need your wildlife preserve parking permit, I think. There used to be some pretty good butter clams at that beach, as well. Have not fished there in many years. Pat