Ice fishing guidance

N
Ntofishing
Looks like an Awesome day!! Thanks for reporting.

troutdude
troutdude
the_intimidator03 said:
at least with your method of cutting the hole you can use the ice to prop your rod.

Nice rod holder! LOL

Looks like you guys had fun; way to go.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice job...especially the high speed saw. ;)

BTW, guess we'll have to call ya "half cooked" from now on. :lol:

P
PNW Sam
Very nice! Glad to see you got out and tried it. Looks like fun!

F
fisherwilly
Great to see Oregon ice fishing. I have all my ice fishing gear (auger, mini rods, ice scoop) from Colorado still and have been meaning to get it out. After seeing you guys having a good time I might have to get serious. Too bad it is awesome at the mountain now.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I love ice fishing but I've never done it in Oregon. I gave all my ice fishing gear away when I moved back to Oregon from Wyoming. Here's a pic from 12 years ago when I was going to school in Utah. This is the only documentation I have from ice fishing.
Ice Fishing.jpg

This might be the winter I pick it back up. I'd love to try for Kokanee. Any ideas where a person could catch Kokes through the ice?

troutdude
troutdude
Awesome catch their Jamison!

C
cookshot
troutdude said:
BTW, guess we'll have to call ya "half cooked" from now on. :lol:
HaHa:lol:

As far as the Kokanee through ice... I'm not sure where would freeze over enough and have Kokes. I know Hosmer lake in central oregon has atlantic salmon, and probably freezes, but I think it is flies only (and is catch and release). Suttle lake (outside of sisters) has Kokanee, but I have no Idea if it freezes. If you want to drive, there are some really big trout in Thief Valley reservoir outside of La Grande, I know they ice fish there. It seems like there isn't a wealth of ice fishing knowledge in Oregon as far as locations, because its not a really common thing, so you might have to just find somewhere high that has kokanee and check it out.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks, the fish weren't bad either.

troutdude said:
Awesome catch their Jamison!