i want to hear some others input on bait

F
FishSchooler
Oh he was like a whole live fish? Oops, I meant it not he... :doh:

What if you was fishing for crappie, hooked one, then a giant sturgeon comes up and bites onto half of the fish, then you land that sturgeon, and the officer people see you landing a big giant sturgeon with half a crappie hanging out of its mouth?

J
joemomma
FishSchooler said:
Oh he was like a whole live fish? Oops, I meant it not he... :doh:

What if you was fishing for crappie, hooked one, then a giant sturgeon comes up and bites onto half of the fish, then you land that sturgeon, and the officer people see you landing a big giant sturgeon with half a crappie hanging out of its mouth?

Well thats a no brainer, keep half the crappie and release the big giant sturgeon, because he was an oversize pigzilla..............................:lol:

F
fish_4_all
Let's see, here it works like this:
Sand shrimp always seem to work but best in spring and summer.
Fall the best is to use freshly caught anchovies.
Winter it tends to be smelt and herring
My favorite is cured prawns only because I have hooked the most sturgeon on them. Of the 17 I have hooked, 5 of them on straight prawns, 3 on prawns and herring and 2 on smelt and prawns. The rest were on either anchovies or smelt.

For the most part, if you can get it fresh it will work the best.

Oh and it is legal to use crappie for bait but no live ones so I think in the case of the sturgeon taking a live crappie it might get you into trouble. It is illegal, up here anyway to use any live fish for sturgeon.

F
Fishtopher
Forget it. I use worms.

Forget it. I use worms.

joemomma said:
That is a good question, could be because hopefully you are using the carcass only! I would check into it ( using crappie for bait, before I did, just to be safe) I hope i'm wrong, and i am quite often:lol:, but I know what happened to my buddy;)

Maybe he just paid the ticket and didn't go to court. I checked before I posted, err, used the method to my madness.

Pg 7, Gear and bait restrictions: Use of fish for bait: #3: Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.

Just dont waste any; Pg 8, General Restrictions: The following activities are unlawfull: #10: Wasting fish, shellfish, or intertidal invertebrates.

That means you better hook up!:lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe its a money making fake loophole created by the Man in a last ditch attempt to empty Dave's pockets.
:think::think::think:
*as my mind wanders to the guy from iFish that got ticketed for the old pics of native steelhead*.....
:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:​
Or maybe I never really used that for bait and just thought it was a good idea. Probably wouldn't work anyways. Better stick to the fish the Man passes off as "bait"....

P
plunkme
i have heard people getting tickets but thats only for holding live bait otherwise if your crappies are dead it should be fine

F
FishSchooler
Ooooooooo smelting is also fun too. Catch hundreds of em with a long net.

F
fishndad
lol wow guys a little off topic .......:lol: its all good. im glad to see what everyone is using and the fact that everyone is so open about it!

F
FishSchooler
On a canoe field trip a long time ago, my friends and I saw a sturgeon in like 2 feet of water. :shock: It was pretty big. It was so cool, it was so close that we could reach out and grab it, but we let it be. We also saw a fish skeleton. :shock:

J
joemomma
I apologize to all! I springer fished with my friend yesterday (zero, zilch nada) and asked him about his crappie ticket! Well let's just say, "I got a little confused, with another story" which we won't go into! He did say it is great bait, and that was yesterday, still fresh in my mind!:confused: