i want to hear some others input on bait

F
fishndad
what is it that you like to use for sturgeon? i use sandshrimp wrapped with thread so it stays on! tell me what u like to use!
 
B
BlackTalon
sturgeon bait

sturgeon bait

It all depends on what they want that day. I have used fresh smelt, pickled smelt, herring, squid, sandshrimp and nightcrawlers all with some success. I have used shad as well especially on the oversize at Bonneville.

Evan Harris
 
T
The Nothing
live and pickled sandshrimp for me thusfar.
 
F
fishndad
sand shrimp seem to be in everyones arsenal lol. its good to hear its a top choice bait! we have probably 30 sandshrimp flats around here which is great! they work for most fishing which is nice! thank you everyone and keep them coming
 
F
Fishtopher
All depends on the time of year for me.

I like to use chunks of various fish caught at dawn with the ultra light on crawlers while bankin it on the Big C. Fresh bait's usually the ticket. Thats my fav.

Other than that; Right now, fresh smelt is 1a with pickled smelt at 1b.

Starting in a month or two, fresh Shad will be on the hook, until I run out, or the fish just wont pick it up as much.

Any other time its Squid Sturgeon Candy and Roll Mop Herring as far as store bought bait goes.
 
F
fishndad
ok great so we do have LOT of sturgeon fisherman! thats fantastic! lets hear some more
 
J
joemomma
Well everything has pretty much been covered! I usually roll out with the bait cooler packed with smelt, anchovies, pickled squid, sandshrimp and herring. Everyday will be a little different! It pays to have yourself a little chest freezer packed with bait!
 
H
Hawk
When i was fishin' fer Striped Bass on the Cali Delta using a whole Pileworm, sometimes i caught & released a Sturgeon..................:lol::lol::lol:.................................:cool::cool::cool:


fishindad, Do the bait stores on the OR coast sell Pileworms ??

If not, why don't they?? Are they illegal in Oregon??

Pileworms are a great bait............

they thrive in the sandy saltwater sloughs............


Bloodworms are pretty good also.......................use a wormthreader
 
H
Hawk
fishndad said:
what is it that you like to use for sturgeon? i use sandshrimp wrapped with thread so it stays on! tell me what u like to use!



I wrapped sewing thread around turkey liver on my hook & caught many Striped Bass & Catfish...........................:lol::lol::lol:........................:cool::cool::cool:
 
F
fishndad
Hawk said:
When i was fishin' fer Striped Bass on the Cali Delta using a whole Pileworm, sometimes i caught & released a Sturgeon..................:lol::lol::lol:.................................:cool::cool::cool:


fishindad, Do the bait stores on the OR coast sell Pileworms ??

If not, why don't they?? Are they illegal in Oregon??

Pileworms are a great bait............

they thrive in the sandy saltwater sloughs............


Bloodworms are pretty good also.......................use a wormthreader

actually ive never even seen pile worms around here lol.....im pretty stuck on what i use out here, its just nice to see what everyone else is using and what there habits are........im a very curious person when it comes to other poeples fishing habits....its a hobby i guess
 
F
FishSchooler
Personally, I think American shad would be the best even though I dont fish for sturgeon. Cool thing is you have to fish for the shad if your gonna fish for the sturgeon, so you could be fishing for both at the same time. :cool: They are easy to catch, fun to land, hard fighters, and tasty if you dont use all of them, and their roe is fantastic if you fry it in some butter. If you have a chartruese jighead and lead, you got yourself some free sturgeon bait.:cool:
 
F
fishndad
yeah the shad will be running late next month so.......ive already gotten the urge for that!
 
W
Want2Fish
My goto bait that seems to produce keepers and shakers (mostly shakers) day in and day out is sand shrimp and worms. Slide the sand shrimp up and hook as many worms on as you can then tie the whole squirmy thing up into a ball with stretchy string.

For over size shad is the ticket, just don't get greedy and use too big a bait, small to average shad are best.
 
P
plunkme
well ill let you guys in on my secret bait, seems like no1 knows about it, ive limited out last year with this bait, try usings fresh crappie, sometimes i like to tip it with some worm, thats been my go to bait last couple of years, but fresh bait that you can catch in the same body is always good bait.
 
F
FishSchooler
But crappie isn't as abundant as shad in the willamette in late may-early july...

over 220000 shad went over bonneville dam a day last year. Imagine how many there are right where the willy enters the columbia! :shock: The dam isn't damming the river, the fish are! :shock::rolleyes:;)
 
J
joemomma
plunkme said:
well ill let you guys in on my secret bait, seems like no1 knows about it, ive limited out last year with this bait, try usings fresh crappie, sometimes i like to tip it with some worm, thats been my go to bait last couple of years, but fresh bait that you can catch in the same body is always good bait.


Using crappie as bait will get you a huge ticket, Game fish
 
P
plunkme
if using crappie is illegal then using shad must be illegal too
 
J
joemomma
plunkme said:
if using crappie is illegal then using shad must be illegal too

Don't quote me on this, Check it out for yourself. But I know this from a fishing buddy, he was checked using crappie( it is killer bait, almost as good as willy eel, also illegal) off the bank at bonnie, and written a nice ticket (game fish), shad is not a game fish as far as I know, just my two cents
 
F
FishSchooler
Shad aint a game fish... Theres no limit on em either. They arent that popular because they are filled with bones. And most people think shad is that tiny little 3 inch fish that is used as baitfish... ;)
If using game fish is illegal for bait, why do so many people use salmon/halibut for crabbing bait, or is that just a whole different topic?
 
J
joemomma
FishSchooler said:
Shad aint a game fish... Theres no limit on em either. They arent that popular because they are filled with bones. And most people think shad is that tiny little 3 inch fish that is used as baitfish... ;)
If using game fish is illegal for bait, why do so many people use salmon/halibut for crabbing bait, or is that just a whole different topic?

That is a good question, could be because hopefully you are using the carcass only! I would check into it ( using crappie for bait, before I did, just to be safe) I hope i'm wrong, and i am quite often:lol:, but I know what happened to my buddy;)
 

Similar threads

S
Replies
4
Views
1K
Senkosam
S
N
Replies
1
Views
385
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fummus
Replies
5
Views
344
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
D
  • Diamond Lake Charlie
  • OFF Topic
Replies
1
Views
542
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Top Bottom