How many of you try and catch crayfish?

T
Thejigmaster
What's your favorite trap and what is the best time of year to catch them? I want to eat them if I get enough.

B
Big3d
Since you're in Hillsboro, I'd say the Nehalem river is the best crawdad river near you. That river is full of them and I don't eat them, but I have been told they are the best. Try between hwy 26 and the salmonberry. I know nothing about the traps but chicken skin or tuna should load you up.

D
DrTheopolis
The Tualatin is loaded with them (and are allegedly safe to eat -- there's actually commercial crawfish operations there).

The Clackamas is loaded with them.

The tributaries of the Tualatin usually have a ton.

Pretty much any stream you have access to will have them in the warm months.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Swim for them in low water. We pick them up on the siuslaw in summer. It takes about two hours for my family to get 150.

Boil them up with corn and potatoes and yes, they are very good.

As for traps. I keep a couple metal traps at my brothers house on the N Umpqua. A few get in there overnight but I can get more swimming for 15 minutes.

Wear gloves and you can carry a bunch in one hand while picking up more and you won't get pinched.

1 nut in the water
Much easier by hand. Steelhead makes the perfect bait! Throw out a steak every 100' or so and come back in 10 minutes and they have come out of nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DirectDrive
Thejigmaster said:
What's your favorite trap and what is the best time of year to catch them? I want to eat them if I get enough.
We used to catch them up at Timothy Lake.
A nice higher altitude environment and a great opportunity to make a camping/fishing trip out of it.
One year we experimented with cantaloupe that were being tossed out by a grocer (getting too old to sell).
The crawdads went mad for it...outfished catfood and chicken backs.

F
Fishpdx
clackamas river has a bunch, I only tried in august and used trout guts. Worked fine

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Any trap will work, almost any stinky or bloody bait. As posted below, the Nehalem is full of them. By hand is my preferred method in the summer when the water is low and warm. Starting memorial day weekend is when I start to get them.