How can ya get rid of the nasty flavor in Klamath Lake trout?

C
Caveman
:think: Anyone who has ever fileted out a big rainbow from Klamath Lake will know exactly what I mean... The nice salmon like flesh will have you drolling, you just know it is gonna be delicious. You prepare it with love and care, maybe even set the table and try to impress your family. You pop a bite in your mouth and you have to fight back the urge to puke. You look around the table and everyone is glaring at you and you know they are all thinking you just tried to poison them...

Anyhow that is how the scene played in my kitchen. I have tried every method I can think of to make edible trout from Klamath Lake. Any ideas?

N
nwkiller
well that beautiful fish your grandson caught is big enough for me to have bled out (slicing a gil) or you may have done that, its good to do on larger fish because they have more blood and if it sits inside the fish for the day it can change the flavor tramendously......next step for me, is sweetin the fish, i like to use brown sugar while cooking fish is can help on a lot of flavors, good luck

R
RunWithSasquatch
nwkiller said:
well that beautiful fish your grandson caught is big enough for me to have bled out (slicing a gil) or you may have done that, its good to do on larger fish because they have more blood and if it sits inside the fish for the day it can change the flavor tramendously......next step for me, is sweetin the fish, i like to use brown sugar while cooking fish is can help on a lot of flavors, good luck

Good help right there.

If all else fails, most everything is awesome brine and smoked :clap: I personally have trouble with the table fair of most trout, including winter steelhead. Usually almost always heads to the smoker. I did see an interesting recipe deep frying with a batter like a white meated fish... I haven't tried it yet though.

M
Mad dog
Caveman said:
:think: Anyone who has ever fileted out a big rainbow from Klamath Lake will know exactly what I mean... The nice salmon like flesh will have you drolling, you just know it is gonna be delicious. You prepare it with love and care, maybe even set the table and try to impress your family. You pop a bite in your mouth and you have to fight back the urge to puke. You look around the table and everyone is glaring at you and you know they are all thinking you just tried to poison them...

Anyhow that is how the scene played in my kitchen. I have tried every method I can think of to make edible trout from Klamath Lake. Any ideas?

You can't make them edible! I've tried! Even smoked I can still taste that algae flavor! They are fun to catch....terrible to eat! I would suggest releasing them and heading to Howards prairie if you are after eatin' fish!

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
Good help right there.

If all else fails, most everything is awesome brine and smoked :clap: I personally have trouble with the table fair of most trout, including winter steelhead. Usually almost always heads to the smoker. I did see an interesting recipe deep frying with a batter like a white meated fish... I haven't tried it yet though.

I deep fry steelhead fillet pieces all the time! Very good!

N
nwkiller
RunWithSasquatch said:
Good help right there.

yep usually steel head and trout head straight to the smoker!!

N
nwkiller
Mad dog said:

oh ya!! try hazel nut encrusted....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm especially sturgeon, in my opinion, its the best way to do white fish

T
troutramp
Caveman said:

Release the fish and just watch the bad taste swim away. There are several lakes I practice this technique on.

C
Caveman
Mad dog said:
You can't make them edible! I've tried! Even smoked I can still taste that algae flavor! They are fun to catch....terrible to eat! I would suggest releasing them and heading to Howards prairie if you are after eatin' fish!

Yeah, I think I am about convinced that Klamath Lake will be catch and release only for me. I have smoked em, fried em, baked em, broiled em, doused em in BBQ sauce, and tried every method Bubba mentioned for shrimp in Forest Gump. Funny Mad Dog should mention Howards Praire cus that is exactly where I am heading for four days starting Thursday...

Troutski
Troutski
Clean fish

Clean fish

I got tired of bland or less than tasteful Trout, a guy in a cleaning station told me to clean the fish...not just gut it but clean it. His theory is that the foul taste is from the slime on the fishes skin, I take great care in cleaning the skin using a dull table knife to scrape the skin and warm water; then a paper towel lightly moistened with olive oil. My Trout taste great every time....I must admit I have never cooked a Trout from Klammath Lake but It works on the fish out of Crane during the Algae blooms in the summer. Give it a try...you won't regret it.

Chuck

W
wozniasm
Troutski said:
I got tired of bland or less than tasteful Trout, a guy in a cleaning station told me to clean the fish...not just gut it but clean it. His theory is that the foul taste is from the slime on the fishes skin, I take great care in cleaning the skin using a dull table knife to scrape the skin and warm water; then a paper towel lightly moistened with olive oil. My Trout taste great every time....I must admit I have never cooked a Trout from Klammath Lake but It works on the fish out of Crane during the Algae blooms in the summer. Give it a try...you won't regret it.

Chuck

If you think it's due to the skin, try skinning the trout like I do for the wife. This way when you bread (coat) and fry it, you can eat the breading as well...
There's a trick to it but it's easy to skin them.

R
rippin fish lips
Mad dog said:

x2!!!!

R
rippin fish lips
Troutski said:

Chuck

I take off all the slime to. yeah i would have to say that helps a lot. Otherwise if u dont u cook that slime right into the meet. but still.. liek u said i ahvent fished that lake.

B
bassman503
The easiest way IMO is to get ride of the slime is to squeeze lime juice all over it and rinse it with cold water. When cooked you wont notice the lime taste

S
strawberry shortcake
I use a vaggie brush on my trout as soon as I get them home. Because the river is a longish walk from the ranch, they don't sit around very long. I love the idea of lemon/lime juice to wash the skin. I'll try that. I also use brownsugar laced cajun spice in and on my trout. A BBQ brush of South of the Boarder mustard works as the finishing step over the coals. That said, I've never caught a trout or lake trout from Klamath Lake but I've been there. I don't doubt the reported rank pond water taste.

H
halibuthitman
its also good to not put the fish on a stringer and back into the lake water, use a cooler, bleed and gut the fish asap.. but letting em go is a nice idea.