Honeyman Memorial State Park and basic questions

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
We (room mates and I) will be camping for 4 days at Honeyman over memorial day weekend. I plan to get in as much fishing as I can!

I would like to try surf perch fishing as it's probably the closest thing to what I had in Florida.

The rigging and setups are all easy to understand, looks similar to a pompano rig.

Few questions though,

1) Why are claw weights chosen over Sputnik weights? Only thing I can assume is the sand vs rock and weeds y'all have up here.

2) Are waders really recommended? Haven't worn them in years, I usually wear Crocs and shorts and suck it up.

3) I'll probably cook some of them if I can, any over the fire recommendations? I've done snook, Largemouth, flounder, pompano, trout, and redfish all over a fire but I guess these surf perch would be closer to a pinner or panfish?

Last edited by a moderator:
plumbertom
plumbertom
(1) Yep the claws hold better in the sandy bottom.

(2) The water here is a lot colder than what you've experienced in the Florida surf. The prevailing current off our coast runs south straight out of the Gulf of Alaska as opposed to the warm Gulf Stream current that runs up the east coast. There are some hardy souls and youngsters that fish the surf without them but I personally want my waders and fleece pants under them. But I'm 67 years along the road and getting cold on the beach takes the fun out of it.

(3) Cook em how you would, but they will taste better if you bleed them when you catch them.

Reactions: Raincatcher
F
fish4life
Fish tacos

Reactions: NKlamerus and plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Nothing beats tacos.
Whether you have a close mesh rack to grill the fish over your fire or like to batter and fry the fillets, they make great tacos.
My personal favorite coating is;
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder.
1/2 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
I mix it up in a gallon size zip baggy. Rinse and pat dry your fillets with a paper towel then drop them in the baggy, give it a good shake to coat your fish and fry them in good hot CORN oil until golden.
Quick and easy mix it before hand and just toss the baggy in the supply box. I suggest you keep it in the cooler after the first use just as a precaution.
One baggy of coating will go a long way.

Last edited:
G
Gulfstream
(1) I use Carlonia rig cover more ground (2) You can get by with knee highs I rarely use waders. (3) They are tasty cooked all ways.Make good chiveche as well. Eel lake is a good fishery.Trout,bass,crappie are available.Great kayak lake.If you don't have one there should be someone renting them at the ramp. perch areas are Horsefall, which is close,south of the jetty of the Umpqua and Bullards beach .Have a good trip

G
Gulfstream
Saunders lake,just a bit south is good for trout as well

C_Run
C_Run
I've had Siltcoos Beach recommended for perch but have not been there yet. I don't wear waders and use pyramid sinkers up to 4 oz. We pan fry the filets with egg and breadcrumb coating.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Gulfstream said:
(1) I use Carlonia rig cover more ground (2) You can get by with knee highs I rarely use waders. (3) They are tasty cooked all ways.Make good chiveche as well. Eel lake is a good fishery.Trout,bass,crappie are available.Great kayak lake.If you don't have one there should be someone renting them at the ramp. perch areas are Horsefall, which is close,south of the jetty of the Umpqua and Bullards beach .Have a good trip
Do the beaches have open seasons? Like parks?

Thanks for the recommendations!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Thanks everyone for the help! I will keep y'all posted with working out the details. I'm worried everything is going to be shoulder to shoulder packed but we'll see

G
Gulfstream
NKlamerus said:
Do the beaches have open seasons? Like parks?

Thanks for the recommendations!
Only weather would create a closer