Hollow bell bodies vs. solid brass bodies.

D
DirectDrive
Modest_Man said:
I got the book yesterday and am sitting at the table taking notes right now. Unfortunately, I've seen absolutely no reference to the Blue Fox type bodies with the rattle. I can't even find a place online that sells the hollow bell bodies?
In the 1st edition Jed mentioned that he considered the Blue Fox to be an under-weighted spinner.
I've gutted them and put worm weights inside the bell and I still don't like them. They do catch, but it's harder to get in his face as compared to properly weighted and configured spinners.
I'm talking fast water.

I do like to see a guy pushing through a run in front of me, using them, however :)

S
snascar2424
I was just looking at making blue fox bells #4 for approx.95 ea minumum buy is 10 pcs. If any one is interested. I was thinking mfg aprrox 2000 pcs the heck with bc angler his prices are pretty steep only thing is theses will be in the raw brass state you paint.

F
fish_4_all
Hagens has light wide ones, Lakeland has HEAVY narrower ones. I have both and use them for certain situations, one being heavy deep fast water along shore on the out going tide. I do not however even care about them so called rattling or whatever they are supposed to do. I have completely stopped trying to make them vibrate or rattle and I catch more fish on them now. My favorite way is to use 2 beads now, bottom bead just big enough to keep the bell body from slipping completely over it and the top bead a size or 2 smaller. If I need more weight I add a small brass body or bead inside the bell.

K
Kelkay
If you have photos, I would love to see them. They sound fantastic.

I
ING
Some manufacturers (like Mepps) sometimes using deer's hairs or silicon skirts, or even grubs on the hooks. How it is improving a bites rate? (I am asking about salmon, not about customers)
Thanks

F
fish_4_all
Bellbeadspinner.jpg
Both are fish catchers, have gotten 1 Coho on the top one and 2 on the bottom one.

K
Kelkay
I like that design, great job.
Kelly

F
fishingfreak
Keep in mind every Fall and winter BC angling post has Lure Building classes for $40. He has 30yrs experience and is very knowledgable. Also if you go write down a list of questions you will have for them. They will be happy to answer all your questions. Good luck hope this helps.

FF

A
Anyfishisfine
ING said:
Some manufacturers (like Mepps) sometimes using deer's hairs or silicon skirts, or even grubs on the hooks. How it is improving a bites rate? (I am asking about salmon, not about customers)
Thanks

I haven't seen many people use those in the river. Most people when I ask what they are using say regular Vibrax. Spinners made by local tackle makers seem to have at most a piece of colored plastic tubing on the shank of the hook.

Y
yellowjacket
A bit late but!!!

A bit late but!!!

Modest_Man said:
Just doing some research for my next batch of home made spinners. These will be size #4 for steelhead and salmon. Wondering how many of you make spinners with the hollow bell bodies like Blue Fox's have? I can find all sorts of solid bodies on the internet but not much on the hollow bodies. Not sure if they work better or not, but they're sure harder to find.

Call BC Angling Post, then just tell them what you are doing & they will set you up. You can pay over phone & then they will mail parts. Do a cost comparison & you can build a nice spinner that knocks-em dead for about the same as a Bud's at Bi-mart. ;) Thumbs up