Help with navigating the regulations

P
pnwbrandon
Hello! It's been a while since I've been on this great little forum.
So, I bought a 12 foot aluminum boat (came with a trailer, 3HP gas motor, and oars). There was no title and I do not have a bill of sale. I have heard varying opinions from friends/family about how to go about getting this thing ready for lake fishing (which is all it will be used for). Any pointers or step-by-steps?
I'm assuming I'll need PFDs/life jackets, but what about the whistle, etc? Will the boat need to be inspected?
Also, I have looked at the Oregon State Marine Board site and I'm not entirely sure which category it falls under without a motor. I realize that I will need to acquire the title as well as register it to use the motor, but what is needed if I just want to test it out for leaks (oars only) this weekend?

Thanks in advance for any help. I want to do this the right way!
Let me know if more info is needed.

Brandon

D
DrTheopolis
Bring PDFs, a throwable, a whistle, and at least an extra paddle. In a 12', you don't need the licensing without a motor.

P
pnwbrandon
Okay, thanks! So about the title? Is it very tricky to go forward without the bill of sale? Is it possible to peel stickers off and start anew? Not sure what's easiest/cheapest.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Have you been able to locate the hull identification number. If you can not find it contact the boats manufacture and ask them where it is located. That hull number is the beginning of the yellow brick road on your journey toward registration. If the boat was previously titled, then that title will need to be signed off. In the event the title can not be located you may very well need to contact the Marine Board and go through the lost title process. Good luck.