Help! Fall came, and trouts are gone ;(

S
streamscream
I cast light lures at the Willamette near UO and I had no problem catching some cute-sized fish on river banks.
But with this change in temperature and water level, all the fish seem to be gone or hidden.
I struggle to get a single bite at the very spot I used to catch fish in the summer.
What should I do? Where should I look for?

H
hydropsyche
While I don't know that section of water I do know trout in my area trout are very migratory within the river system changes occur during seasonal shifts, spawning, bug hatches, water temp and water levels. That being said they are either most likley upstream or up the nearest tributaries. Keep fishing that spot just find different water and move on when you don't get bit after covering the water. I find fish closer to shore when waters raise and turbidity turns up. A slower presentation is needed when water gets colder the fish won't be as feisty as in the summer.

J
JeannaJigs
You're not going to find many there this time of year because they only stock it during the summer. You'll catch fish pretty regular after stockings but after a while the disperse. I guess if you want trout nearby Alton baker probably gets stocked regularly still, don't know for sure cause I haven't fished it in about 15 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

S
streamscream
Man, it's really frustrating. I haven't had a single bite for three days.
I thought too, that fish stick closer to shore when the water is high and turbidity turns up, but there's no sign of fish near the river banks where I fish.
Where I fish is mostly slow to moderate current; could it be that fish gather aroutd faster currents with richer oxygen? I've been avoiding those spots because of snags.

B
bagold53
Depending on what you are fishing with the more turbulent water can be full of snags. I would use a spoon or a wedding ring in the more turbulent water and keep the slack out of the line. If you are fly fishing maybe use an unweighted fly. I find that fish will hang in the turbulent water more than the slow moving water. A nice ripple along the top of the water helps the fish feel like they are hidden. This is my experience not a lot but my 2 cents.