Help a girl and her dog out

J
JeannaJigs
Plotting a trip to the crooked next week. Wondering if anyone's been out recently and can report back on the snakes. I want to take Avzilla, but not if there's going to be cranky fresh from hibernation rattlesnakes in abundance. She almost got bit this time of year a year ago hiking up a butte in Eugene by a very lethargic cranky snake the first good week of sunshine we had that year. I won't risk her safety, it's why she doesn't fish the deschutes or crooked with me during the summer. Sucks leaving her home and I feel bad about it, but it's just not worth losing my furball.

troutdude
troutdude
Might be worth a call, to the ODFW office in Prineville. Or maybe the nearest Forest Service office.

J
JeannaJigs
Well being as I am not awake during business hours, and there's members here that live there, figured I'd ask here from people that would know first hand.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Jeanna, if Dan (FishFinger) doesn't reply you should send him a pm. He is definitely on top of everything over there. I look forward to getting to fish with him this year. Are you going solo or with Rose? Have fun and be safe!

J
JeannaJigs
That's who I'm hoping chimes in. Rose said she was going and I pretty much just invited myself lol

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I just saw that on Facebook. LOL You two are definitely kindred spirits! I pity the poor fish with the JRo team going after 'em. :D

J
JeannaJigs
Our days off rarely ever coincide anymore so I saw that and wanted to go bad lol. Had intentions of fishing over there when it was frozen cold ground (my favorite snake free season) but it never worked out, just been too busy.

J
JeannaJigs
And I can't say no to pre spring camping :)

F
FishFinger
Sorry IDK specifically. If weather is an indicator we've had temps well below freezing over night and lately high temps in the low 50's. Perhaps Wes can provide better info.

There is a rattlesnake vaccine available for your pooch.

I've been boulder hunting to find specimens for my rock walls and Although these areas are suitable rattler habitat, I've seen nothing active.

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks for the input. I think My vet doesn't have the vaccine, I was thinking about setting it up with a vet in bend. It's a 3 shot series I believe so that gets tricky. It's not expensive though from what I've researched.

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
and there's members here that live there, figured I'd ask here from people that would know first hand.

Precisely why I suggested calling...to chat with employees, who are out in the field. Maybe send an email?

S
steelhead_slayer
I thought I replied to this but my phone must not have worked right. I was just in that area. I did not see any snakes. I believe it is still cool enough that you shouldn't see any. I'm not going to guarantee it, but you should be good to go

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_slayer said:
I thought I replied to this but my phone must not have worked right. I was just in that area. I did not see any snakes. I believe it is still cool enough that you shouldn't see any. I'm not going to guarantee it, but you should be good to go

Thanks that's what I was looking for. I'm sure they'll be out very soon though lol nasty things

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
1) Craigslist 2) Feeder mice 3) Cabela's 4) Small thing bag 5) Leather gloves 6) See snake...feed snake
There ya go! :lol: :popcorn:

J
JeannaJigs
I'm going to go rogue with my shotgun on these evil things. I'll be the weirdo packing around a fullsize 12g with my fly rod.

J
JeannaJigs
In middle school I got brave enough to stick my hand in the cage of the science classroom snake, and saved (some might say stole) the mice from imminent death. My mom wasn't too pleased when I brought home mice.

While I can justify the murder of rabbits off of Craigslist for pelts lol I'll spare the mice. Can't tie a jig with a mouse hide.

Or can you....

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
JeannaJigs said:
In middle school I got brave enough to stick my hand in the cage of the science classroom snake, and saved (some might say stole) the mice from imminent death. My mom wasn't too pleased when I brought home mice.

While I can justify the murder of rabbits off of Craigslist for pelts lol I'll spare the mice. Can't tie a jig with a mouse hide.

Or can you....

Cut mouse hide off of dead mouse. Glue to egg shaped foam. Epoxy taxidermy mouse onto big hook - Mouse Fly! What'd be more realistic a fly than a real, dead, stuffed mouse on the hook? The only good mouse is a dead one. Or a PC mouse.

We discovered last year a couple months after moving in to our place - that there were holes leading from the foundation into the utility room of our place. We had a LOT of snakes and mice hanging out - I had to plug the holes up w/ foam cuz our property managers wouldn't do jack. "It's just mice and garter snakes, right?" HA!

At one point we had at least a dozen garter snakes living in the cracks in our front porch (cement) and under it. I saw the slithery little bastids go into vent holes in the foundation. While we thankfully haven't found any snakes in the house yet - I killed half a dozen mice in three days when I started my war against vermin kind last year. Traps, bait, and at one point stepping out of the shower - I had a mouse come out of the heating vent into the bathroom and whacked it with a baby louisville slugger.

If we lived where there were rattlers and had that issue, I think I would've had no other option than ten gallons of gas and a road flare - the closest thing to a tactical nuke I can afford.

Good luck on the trip!

J
JeannaJigs
GungasUncle said:
Cut mouse hide off of dead mouse. Glue to egg shaped foam. Epoxy taxidermy mouse onto big hook - Mouse Fly! What'd be more realistic a fly than a real, dead, stuffed mouse on the hook? The only good mouse is a dead one. Or a PC mouse.

We discovered last year a couple months after moving in to our place - that there were holes leading from the foundation into the utility room of our place. We had a LOT of snakes and mice hanging out - I had to plug the holes up w/ foam cuz our property managers wouldn't do jack. "It's just mice and garter snakes, right?" HA!

At one point we had at least a dozen garter snakes living in the cracks in our front porch (cement) and under it. I saw the slithery little bastids go into vent holes in the foundation. While we thankfully haven't found any snakes in the house yet - I killed half a dozen mice in three days when I started my war against vermin kind last year. Traps, bait, and at one point stepping out of the shower - I had a mouse come out of the heating vent into the bathroom and whacked it with a baby louisville slugger.

If we lived where there were rattlers and had that issue, I think I would've had no other option than ten gallons of gas and a road flare - the closest thing to a tactical nuke I can afford.

Good luck on the trip!

LOL@ Taxidermy mouse fly hahahaha oh man. I have come to hate mice ever since the infamous war with one in my vehicle that I picked up while camping at Odell lake a few years back. That thing set up camp and it was a pain to get it out. If I lived, where you live...I'd burn the whole freaking thing down.

F
Fishermen Jim
Raincatcher said:
1) Craigslist 2) Feeder mice 3) Cabela's 4) Small thing bag 5) Leather gloves 6) See snake...feed snake
There ya go! :lol: :popcorn:

A Stringer of Fish and Rattle Snakes, what a feast!

What is the bag limit for Rattle Snakes anyways?

S
sunsalem
Fishermen Jim said:
What is the bag limit for Rattle Snakes anyways?
All you can eat....

Top Bottom