Help a fellow angler get into some trout!

M
Matt G
Glad I'm not the only one! It is a nice little lake though, even without a lot of action. I'm sure it will heat up as the weather warms and the stocking schedule gets underway for the year. The lake is smaller than I thought it would be, and I think it's a great size for a float tube - perfect for a pontoon boat.

troutdude
troutdude
Matt G said:
Well you're too generous with your encouragement, but thanks! I'd forgotten that I did troll a brand new black and green wedding ring for a short time as well as the pink one, without a strike.

The fly rod is new to me - just got it last year. So I'm still getting the hang of that. I trolled with it once last summer in a couple high cascade lakes off a friend's pontoon boat, but I couldnt figure out how to do that in my (bigger) boat. All the other fly fishing I've done has been on moving water so I wasn't sure I'd have any luck just casting the Woolly Bugger and stripping it in. Ah well, next time.

The techniques you all list here, including the ones you mentioned in your post above, are all helpful, so keep posting them! I want to get some serious fishing in this year both on flies and on hardware with my kids. My 13-year-old daughter has already been informed that she needs to man the rods next time while I row! She's amped.

Amped kids are the best. That's really cool, that she likes to fish with pops!

I fish Woolly Bugger and nymphs from my tube quite a lot. I have caught way more fish with those flies than any other method of fishing (except for maybe trolling a Brass Litlle Cleo spoon). So, I'd encourage you to give it a go. Just get it out there and let it drift along with your boat action.

Hopefully you'll get into some fish next time.

C
capblack
Matt G said:
Glad I'm not the only one! It is a nice little lake though, even without a lot of action. I'm sure it will heat up as the weather warms and the stocking schedule gets underway for the year. The lake is smaller than I thought it would be, and I think it's a great size for a float tube - perfect for a pontoon boat.

you should have rowed up to the inlet, it makes the lake feel a lot bigger!! just curious, have they implemented the pay to play there yet?? i heard it was going to be $5 to park from now on.

M
Matt G
capblack said:
you should have rowed up to the inlet, it makes the lake feel a lot bigger!! just curious, have they implemented the pay to play there yet?? i heard it was going to be $5 to park from now on.

Yeah, I did row back up there - probably 70% of the way from the bend to the inlet. Anchored up in about 8 feet of water and ate lunch. It was nice.

There was NO fee to park or launch. That surprised me a bit. I assumed I'd have to shell out five bones or so to launch, but no dice. I wasn't complaining!