Help a dad with the shad

G
Gonzo
Looking to get my kids into some fun. They're tired of hanging with dad for hours chasing steelhead/salmon with the occasional hookup.Thinking about heading to Bonneville. I didn't see to much on the older forums. To late in the run? Worth driving out from PDX? Techniques? Any info helpful thanks.

E
eugene1
Sounds like it'll be peaking from now on for a couple of weeks.

Good luck,

E
eugene1
90,000 Shad over the dam yesterday.

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Environment/Fish/Data.aspx

Monthly Adult Fish Counts
Bonneville - June 2014 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Portland District
csv format

Date Shad Lamprey
6/1/2014 83856 174
6/2/2014 94964 103
6/3/2014 84472 146
6/4/2014 72975 306
6/5/2014 87422 213
6/6/2014 118132 478
6/7/2014 121348 549
6/8/2014 169741 466
6/9/2014 77474 451
6/10/2014 64581 204
6/11/2014 85323 163
6/12/2014 91200 241

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
not sure where they are fishing but if you check Marvin's Guide Service on FaceBook, they just posted a cooler full of shad from this evenings outing...

O
OnTheDrop
You can have a hay day on a simple gold swivel... My favorite are little curly grubs about an inch long..

Aervax
Aervax
Gonzo. Fishing at Bonneville Dam during the peak Shad run will be successful, but could be challenging for the kids. It is literally shoulder to shoulder. Time your cast and retrieve just right or you will tangle the guys on either side of you. If you decide to go there anyway, set up with spinning reels, 4-8lb line, 1/2 ounce weight, 20" leader ending in 1/16 ounce jig head. No feathers or plastic on them. Red and white, or chatreuse are good colors. If they don't work try pink, green or gold. The water is deep there with a good current, hence the need for weight and timing. Throw it out, count to 5 and reel slow and within 3 feet of bottom. Watch the guys who are catching a lot. They are there every day, so they know what is working. Their weight size and countdown are key. Match their color as well if you can.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
solid advice!

Aervax said:
Gonzo. Fishing at Bonneville Dam during the peak Shad run will be successful, but could be challenging for the kids. It is literally shoulder to shoulder. Time your cast and retrieve just right or you will tangle the guys on either side of you. If you decide to go there anyway, set up with spinning reels, 4-8lb line, 1/2 ounce weight, 20" leader ending in 1/16 ounce jig head. No feathers or plastic on them. Red and white, or chatreuse are good colors. If they don't work try pink, green or gold. The water is deep there with a good current, hence the need for weight and timing. Throw it out, count to 5 and reel slow and within 3 feet of bottom. Watch the guys who are catching a lot. They are there every day, so they know what is working. Their weight size and countdown are key. Match their color as well if you can.

Aervax
Aervax
I am going a little overboard sharing ideas here. Kids deserve a good outing and there are so many Shad to catch that keeping secrets would be weak and ridiculous. Come on guys! There are lots of you out there who catch tons of Shad who can help make this a successful trip. Share what works!

The boats are knocking them dead right now, catching 100-200 in a few hours. There method is different from the bank anglers, but worth noting. They are plunking in strong current in 10 feet of water. We did well doing this a week ago using small size 8-ish transluscent green jigs or white and red Dick Nites. I mention this because I am going bank fishing for them this weekend and am looking to get away from the crowds and to a place where I can fish from the bank in current in 10 feet of water without having to recast a lot. More like plunking from the bank. Up river from Cascade Locks there are lots of places you can do that. An obvious one that comes to mind is The Hook in Hood River. It is the furthest west windsurf launch there in HR. Not many anglers there. You can park next to where you are fishing. There are lots of areas like that up and down the Gorge if you poke around for a bit to find a place you like. I am going in the Hood River area for a couple hours Sat or Sun, still undecided which. If you want to drive that far I would be glad to show you a couple places. Keep in mind this will be my first shot at bank plunking for Shad. Though I feel confident about it, it could turn out to be a bust. Let us know how you do and post a pic!