Has anyone seen a reel like this?

W
wollybugger
My dad sent me some fishing stuff - One of the things he sent was this reel. He thought it was a fly reel - which it could certainly be.
Went you pull the lever the line retracts. It has a thick line almost like a fly line, with what appears to be a tippet tied on the end. What kind of reel is this? And what is it designed for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
wollybugger
25bd25593cc7851cb10a0da17a8566ca.jpg284bbf87596bdf5e83873a2734bac06d.jpg629911c394626c10a866c5d007c13d67.jpg

bass
bass
Not that exact model but my first fly reel as a kid was an automatic fly reel similar to that one. They used to be somewhat popular - especially for heavier lines and bass fly fishing. The one I had would decide to reel in on its own at least a dozen times a day. I think they lost popularity because they are so much heavier than a single action (normal) fly reel.

W
wollybugger
Haha - totally an automatic fly reel. Looked it up and a million popped up on eBay. Thanks Bass!

O
OnTheDrop
Designed for people with one arm! Found that out by an old 'Nam vet when I worked at Cabelas.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have 2 that my grandpa had I like em for trout fishing its all I use on the Fall River and some lakes they have a good drag system some of them.Get some strange looks from the purists with their 1000 dollar Orvis gear I love catching trout in front of those guys with my old rods and reels!

W
wollybugger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Designed for people with one arm! Found that out by an old 'Nam vet when I worked at Cabelas.

Nice to know - I'll keep that around just in case!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Remember not to over wind it. You will feel it start to get tight. Make a turn more then stop. Have fun with it.

W
wollybugger
Thanks for the advise!! Going to be fun to play with!

B
Billamicasr
Haven't thought about an automatic fly reel for many years. Mine was a Martin, given to me by my dad I think in 1957 or possibly 1958. It was a part of my first flyfishing outfit and I was a very proud little kid.

We fished for trout on the Rogue; they were small enough when dad wasn't watching I could bring them in with the power of the reel. I believe it is still stuffed away somewhere, I'll have to look for it.

Thanks for the post.