Has anyone here ever tried this?

C
chrishophoto
willfishforfood said:
Youtube has lots of videos of kayak fishing, I think this one looks like what you plan to do. YouTube - kayak fishing with Spike Good Luck!

That video kicks ass! I have kayaked before, and I am quite sure that I have a bit more stability than that guy.

If you see some IDIOT in the Willamette, trolling with a Canoe, don't forget to say hi!

-C

T
tnffishman
if i were u i would try to rig up an anchor setup instead of trolling, you will catch more salmon. as for the fight, i think you should be fine if u know hw to keep ur balance in a canoe.

C
chrishophoto
tnffishman said:
if i were u i would try to rig up an anchor setup instead of trolling, you will catch more salmon. as for the fight, i think you should be fine if u know hw to keep ur balance in a canoe.

I have an anchor, so that is definitely and option.

-C

A
ArcticAmoeba
Do bring the anchor, but as far as catching more fish on anchor goes. I will have to disagree. The method you choose is dependent on where you decide to target fish, and current conditions. If you anchored up under the I-5 bridge for example... You would only get the few freak fish that would eat something stationary these days, while the rest of the boats limited in two passes, doin the downstream dance. You may need to mount a roller to the stern, and a cleat on the gunnel at the side of your seat for instance, to have a way to secure rope. I bet an anchored canoe should track fairly well in the current though.

L
luv2fish
i donno about salmon but downtown i saw this guy on canoe...a freakin canoe..and he caught a keeper sturgeon....he fought for good 5-10 minutes but yeah he nailed it....

C
chrishophoto
luv2fish said:
i donno about salmon but downtown i saw this guy on canoe...a freakin canoe..and he caught a keeper sturgeon....he fought for good 5-10 minutes but yeah he nailed it....

Cool! I think the biggest challenge would be getting the fish in the canoe without tipping over!

-C

C
chrishophoto
How deep?

How deep?

So I am thinking about trying this whole trolling by canoe thing early tomorrow morning somewhere near the Sellwood bridge. I have some large spinners, and am not sure if I really want to go out and buy other gear such as bait, or a quickfish, or both. Being a rookie at all of this, I am also not so sure I know how deep I should be targeting these fish.

Anybody have some advice?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Water is too cold for spinners to be effective. And the Chinook will hold in about 20 feet of water, or more. We have hooked a few in over 30 feet this year, but most are coming out of 18-25 feet of liquids. Rolled red lable, cut plugs, and old school KFish are the only things we are fishing right now due to water temps, conditions, and feeding habits. The new KFish plugs are half decent, and dive much better. Run 3/0 Owner NEEDLE POINTS, and don't hide the hook right now if you decide to fish herring.

N
ninja2010
launched this afternoon (work ate up my morning - sorry, chris) from willy park and headed towards the green tank. beautiful day. saw lots of boats... even saw a seal smack salmon on the surface just 20 feet from my toon.

boatsonwilly.jpg

spent a few hours trolling kwikies all over like a drunken sailor.

marked a lot of fish on the humminbird... at different depths. the most i have on the screen at one time is this one. (there were more to the left and right of the screen...)

fishonhumminbird-1.jpg

sorry about the reflection, but they were suspending in the deeper regions and when i hit the 30-40 foot depths, they were metered hugging bottom. there were a whole bunch of them just off the shore next to the park/floating homes right across from the launch...

anyways, i couldn't get any of them to bite my kwikies...

A
ArcticAmoeba
What was your trolling speed? Try rollin some herring next time, and even diving eggs. Saw one guy get a big 'ol fin last week on a diver and bait the size of yer fist!

N
ninja2010
i shoulda used my gps... but didn't. so i don't know my actual speed, but a guess would be about 1-1.5 kts... maybe... :rolleyes:

i was soooo waiting for the rod tip to slam when i run the kwikies through the mob, but alas, captain skunk strikes again... :(

K
Kodiak
40+ feet.

40+ feet.

Instant trouble here for hardware. In clear salt water no visible wavelengths of light penetrate below 40 ft. Judging by the color of the water in the pic your light column is probably reaching 30-35 ft. max.

You will do much better with bait or eggs. A plug cut herring properly rigged and rolling at that depth will produce an enticing and natural thump, scent (mucho importante' at those depths), and the right profile/siloutte. Eggs will produce because of scent, and natural instinct to eliminate compitition for their young.

P.S. If you thought steelies were tough to hook up...welcome to the wide world of springers. By far the toughest species to hook up with in the pacific north west in my opinion. Keep at it you will get one!

N
ninja2010
hmmm... point taken. maybe uv spinners might do better? ;):D

N
ninja2010
thanks for the tip, kodiak... i'll have to go git me some herrin'

A
ArcticAmoeba
Buy two, or get the double sided plug cutter. Both blue, and red. Cut one right hand style, and the next lefty. See if the fish prefer your bait to roll a certain direction. And get Reds for the big river.

F
fish_4_all
I have seen people fishing for salmon here in a canoe in salt water. Have even seen a couple landed here but only after they were able to get to land. I have yet to see on landed on the water. I imagine it can be done but would be really tough to do.

Maybe a special net designed to stay on the side of the boat so you can simply lead the fish into the net and trap it there might work. One of those cradle/hammock types I have seen for Muskie and other big fish.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The only way to even attempt to keep a fish, is to just gill it, and run a rope through its face. Then drag it behind your carriage. I have done it on Kayaks in AK, fishin in bays. If you get one that is too big to drag onto the stern, you drag 'em behind.

N
ninja2010
that's what we do with threshers... drag them to drown them as you bring them to shore. we never even try to bring them into the kayak.

I
I Grade
I just laughed HARD....funny mental image

I just laughed HARD....funny mental image

I hope you dont really do that.... you are really putting yourself in harms way by attempting to target salmon in a canoe. I can see a person that is skilled at canoeing doing well with steelhead or MAYBE silvers, but the bulldogging and the diving for the bottom that a 25lb chinook would certainly do.... it could dump you in the drink. A life jacket would be essential. I recommend landing a chinook in a boat first so you can appreciate what I am saying here.

L
luv2fish
look at this months Northwest Sportsman...and this guy bryce ( he's a columnist there ) who exclusively fish's on kayak....man he transformed his kayak into a one man fish catching machine..fish finder,,down riggers...beapers and what not....