Guy targets spawning coho

brandon4455
brandon4455
[video=youtube;rrVdC-fX3b4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVdC-fX3b4[/video]

pretty cool how agressive these fish are but who targets fish that are actively spawning?? i hope this isn't anywhere in oregon..doesn't appear that it is. But like this fish in my avatar they are agressive, if anyone every gets the chance to fly fish for coho tie on an egg sucking leech and hold on..funnest fish ever

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
I stood next to my uncle once, on a Siletz trib. He C & R'd 15 Ho's in 15 consecutive casts w/ a hot pink Rooster Tail. My dad & I also got our fair share of them. What a FUN day that was! Its a drag, but that trib has been closed for decades now. :mad:

But, targeting them when spawning is just plain STOOPID!!! :naughty: :rolleyes:

brandon4455
brandon4455
coho unlike Chinook are a very,very aggressive fish, they will eat anything pink! :lol: but your right td, it's stupid!! . taking advantage of a spawning fish because it is aggressive is wrong!! This also reminds me, this is why i submitted a proposal to lower the deadline on the salmon river to protect spawning fish from people like this

Last edited:
D
DYJ
it was cool to see the fish travel so far through that crystal clear water to hit his fly. We've had double digit days with spawning coho too. We've moved out of good steelhead water cause every case was coho and it got annoying...

S
steelhead_slayer
I've never fished for coho sounds like i should do some research and give it a try. Fresh ones of course. totally unethical video, but cool to watch

T
tnffishman
don't think thats in OR, most likely Alaska if I had to guess. It's cool to see those fish chase the fly down like that, but I wouldnt spend an entire day chasing spawned out coho on their beds. Ethics would be in question for sure

S
Subacca
Coho is my favorite salmon to fish for. Kings run deep, prefer slower moving bait, and are bigger but are far and few between compared to coho and especially compared to pinks and they don't put up as much of a fight (compared to coho that is.. though they sure can run through a spool of line!). Find a nice tide rip and put lots of action on your bait and get a good 17 pound coho on your line and your in for a really fun fight. They jump, run, squirrely as hell, and very good eating. But when spawning, don't know..can see people in Oregon and other states where the fishing isn't very good thinking its fun I suppose but I couldn't do it no matter how desperate to fish. I have heard of Native Alaskans using spawning fish to smoke because the meat is more oily and moist. Something about marinating your meat in p!ss before eating it..lol..kind of seems gross.

Last edited:
B
bassboy
Looks like this video is on a great lakes trib. These fish would not spawn (successfully!) anyway and if he can get fish to chase a fly like that more power to him!