Lakes Green Peter Reservoir Fishing Reports

L
lip ripper
I didn't see that many fish but occasionally you would see some 40 to 80 feet deep. The one that I hit was at 40' up by the island.

G
Griz
We went to GP yesterday and did a lot of fishing, but not much catching! We only kept 4 fish and tossed 6 little ones back in the water. We used 2 downriggers as well as 2 more rods out the back. Most of the fish was all caught on the same pole and that was the one with worm and white corn. I would like to know how others did at the lake and method of fishing that worked best for them. Thanks

C
capblack
we were on gp from 6 am until about 130 pm yesterday, and only caught 2 small kokes. We caught them trolling, and had no luck jigging. We we hardly marking any fish at all. 2 weeks ago we were marking many more, and had a little better luck. Hope it picks up soon. Brian

J
joemomma
Rode my bike up there today, stopped and talked to a few guys at the boat ramp and it was pretty dead, then I rode up to the bridge and talked to the jiggers, very slow for koke's, but they are big already, one 17 and a couple of 15 inchers, hopefully it will be a great year! Rode all the way up until I ran into snow, quartzville creek is beeeeeeutiful! Reservoir iis not quite full, but ramp at thistle is usable (upper)

Reactions: Troutski
C
capron6
5-8 results

Fishing at Green Peter hasn't taken off yet by any means. Certainly hope it turns on before the Derby, I think it will. Managed 9 fish to the boat. Released 5 due to smaller size. Kept 2 kokes up to 11 1/2" because they wouldn't survive had they been returned. The highlights of the day, however, were a couple pretty nice chinooks. Largest being 19 1/2" weighing 2 lbs 13 oz, followed up shortly thereafter with a 17 1/2" 1 lb 15 oz., hope I can find their brothers (or sisters) during the derby.

Look forward to seeing some of you folks at Green Peter this year. It is a great lake and I believe we will see some 18" + kokes there this summer. All indications are there for sure.

T
TTFishon
A guy at work said his son caught a bunch off of the bridge last weekend ranging from 10 to 15 inches.

G
Griz
Green Peter 5-9-09

Green Peter 5-9-09

We went back up to Green Peter last Saturday and with 3 of us fishing we caught 6 fish in about 8 hours of trolling! We lost 2 fish bringing them in to the boat and the fish we did catch had some nice size to them. I caught 3 of the fish and all of them on something with a Green color on it. It was a beautiful day! and we even had some people water skiing up the arm! If you go please be careful! a lot of stuff still floating in the water.:)

L
lip ripper
5-13 report

I was at Green Peter this morning and was fishing at 7 AM. After towing my hook until I just about wore it out after 5 hours, I didn't get a bite. I tried several colors but nothing worked. I probably only saw a dozen fish on the finder. I talked to 3 more boats and one guy had one 14'' Kokanee.

C
capron6
OK everyone. We are looking for a bunch of OFF'ers to enter our Derby at Green Peter Reservoir on June 6. This is a special one this year and it would be advisable to enter early. (I believe "Troutski" came last year but didn't fish.) These are great events, a lot of fun, and proceeds are for the good of Oregon inland fisheries.

This year we have Angler's West Television attending to film the Green Peter event for an upcoming half hour segment of their show on the Outdoor Channel. Of course the winner will recieve $400 plus a spot on the show! That could be YOU!! Additionally, we will have some of the tackle manufacturers there with their products available to be won as prizes.

And of course, all entrants will be treated to barbeque hamburgers at the weigh in which will be held and Sunnyside Park as it was last year. Non-entrants may purchase lunch for $5.

We look forward to seeing some of the OFF folks there. Anyone having questions feel free to call Greg 541-973-4831 or Ron 707-350-3430.

R
roguerick
Hey Capron! you better get your Northern boys signed up. I just talked to Greg and he say that the derby is filling up fast!!! You guys have a title to defend and us Southern boys want it.
John Yurkovich from Uncle Larry's Lures will be there along, with Robbie Thorson from R&K Spinners, Gary Mirallas from Shasta tackle, Steve Lynch from Pro- Cure, All the guys will be on site and fishing the derby.:dance:
Come and talk to them, find out their secrets and how to use their products.

Bob Schmidt from Mack's also sent down some real nice stuff, along with Kyle Neeser from Crystal basin Tackle, Vance's tackle, and Uncle Malcolm from Hot Spot. Terry Bennett famed Northwest Guide, Scotty and Hot Spot Pro-staff , will be there this year and he always has good tips on Kokanee fishing.
I will bring a Kokanee rod made from a new Graphite we are testing for the raffle also.
This should be one of the best Derby's we have had to date. Please come and join us.
How about it? Troutski, Fishfinger??? you old boys just talk or do you fish??:tongue::yay::yay::yay:
Capron You been practicing your dancing? and polishing your Pink Chicken suede boots? Because if I beat you again you are going to have to brake out that two toned Monkey hair Speed-O, strap on them boots and dance for us.

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Taking the boat up to Green Peter in the morning for a day of fishing.

Will give full report of weather and water temps, with phone pics when we get back.

Meanwhile, any last minute suggestions for bait, etc.? We can troll (no down rigger, but we have a "diver") or anchor and still fish.

First fishing with the boat a a few weeks. I'm dying to get back out!!

:)

Troutski
Troutski
Gps...

Gps...

If you have a gps unit, make sure you make a crumb trail; if you don't, really pay attention to some sort of land mark as you come out of the arm you launch your boat. I say this from my own experience, this lake is very large and has a great number of arms that look exactly the same from the main body of the lake. Especially if the wind is up and it is getting close to dark....trust me on this pay attention to your fuel level....one can really burn up the fuel on this lake. Other than that it is a great lake, Kokes,Rainbows,Land Locked Chinook, Large Mouth Bass and every other warm water species known to man.
I would troll around the Island mainly staying on the east side and try trolling wedding rings tipped with White shoe peg corn, try starting out around 20' if you can manage it. When the sun gets high in the sky try heading over to one of the many coves and anchoring - do some Brim fishing or float a worm on a bobber for the local Rainbows.
Good luck and have a wonderful day on the water.

Chuck

S
sharkbait
bank fishing at Green Peter?

bank fishing at Green Peter?

I wish I had a boat! I've got a friend with some single person pontoon floats, other than that, I'm bankin' it. I'm headed up there this weekend and am wonder where some good place are to catch something (trout, bass, wahtever). I haven't gone up there much. Does anyone know of some good spots to fish?
Thanks!!!

Troutski
Troutski
I do...`

I do...`

I haven't ever fished it from shore, but I have anchored in spots and fished as I was on shore. First thing is when you come to the top of the dam, when you first see it, if it is still open to the public drive across the dam and once you are on the other side hang a left, there is a parking lot and a very primitive boat launch. One a Hummer would shiver at, any way walk down and on your way check out the shore line from the elevated stance and see how the land slopes. Once your on the waters edge use your knowledge from above and work the entire cove. I would be surprised if you don't hook into one very quickly, especially this time of year; the water is starting to warm up and keep the warm through out the night.
You can move from there I don't believe you can use the road on the side your on, so drive back across the dam and turn right and head toward the back of the res. There are plenty of turn outs along the road and each has a way to the water, try to keep to the shade as long as you can during the day...the Osprey are keen on these fish and you can use them as natures fish finder.
Take some night crawlers and mini marshmallows and bottom fish using the mellow to float the night off the bottom, using a egg sinker on your main line and then a swivel; from the swivel to your hook maybe 2 - 3feet. Toss lures, deep running spoons and dark spinners should bring in the fish hanging near the drop offs. Take plenty of water and sunscreen and enjoy the day....best of luck and tight lines.

Chuck

C
capron6
Spent a long half day on the water today and finally found a few fish that would cooperate. Seven fish in the cooler, seven others that kicked my butt. Much, much better that the past few weeks. Hoping the fish will continue to cooperate through the Derby this weekend.

Green Peter is a little late this year as far as the fish starting to school and begin to bite. But it appears that the past few days of warm weather have helped a lot.

C
capron6
I haven't heard from either one of them either, so I guess that is good news for all of us. We do, however, have a couple of other heavy hitters that will be attending. So it will continue to be a very interesting Derby. I have spoken to several that will be arriving on Thursday and Friday morning to pre-fish. Maybe they will 'party hearty' on Friday night and be off their game a little on Saturday thus giving us 'Rookies' a chance, huh? :rolleyes:

Irregardless of what happens I am sure that everyone will have a great time. And the lake is fishing better this week to boot! :clap:

S
sharkbait
Hi everyone! I finally got myself a boat!! :dance: I'm looking to head up to the reservoir soon. It's going to be my first time up there. Is there a marina I can get gas at? Anyone got some good pointers for fishing the reservoir?
Thanks to all!!!
-Brian

"Fish till you drop, just don't drop your beer!"

D
Dan Feller
There isn't any facilities at Green Peter, so gas up in Sweet Home before you get there. I love Green Peter, it's probably the most scenic reservoir around!

C
capblack
in my opinion, the lack of marinas at gp is one of the thing that makes it so great. heck, you can't even see the boat ramps when your out on the lake, because there all set back in the arms of the creeks running in. anyway, have a good time, and if anybodies there this saturday, maybe well see each other. Ill be there from around 530 or 600 am until I can't stand it any more. Ill be after kokes and nooks. good luck, Brian

Troutski
Troutski
Land marks...

Land marks...

A great piece of advice is to make a mental note on some land mark when you leave your cove or arm after launching your boat. That lake is huge and most of the arms look the same, especially late in the day with the wind kicking up 3 foot waves, if you have a gps mark a way point as soon as you launch your boat. Be sure to have your boaters card when you go, and don't forget the plug before you launch...don't ask just double check;)

Chuck

Top Bottom