great fishing around bay/jetty!

K

Kevinb5688

i took my little 14 ft boat out in yaquina bay in newport to do some fishing and crabbing yesterday. during slack tide i went out and anchored around the jetty. caught nice fish on sandshrimp, and one really big rock bass on a 2oz white curly tail jig. when the tide got to much i headed in and fished around the sea wall and anywhere in the bay there were rocks, caught a few greenling that way as wellit was a good day, even stopped and got 6 trout on the way home! (women of the house were having a baby shower so i was told not to come home until its over) which worked for me because fishing was hot and got 16 big rock crab ontop of these fish!
. kevins ocean fish 009.jpg kevins ocean fish 008.jpg kevins ocean fish 007.jpg

D

Drew9870

Banned User
How'd the Staghorns cut up :lol:, gross.

You said it was just you out there? Looks like you got 8 Greenling (Sea Trout) and 2 Sea Bass, I didn't know they made exceptions to that 7 rockfish limit :D, I want to assume Stags count against that as well, considering on the regs it says that Rockfish count as other fish not listed on pages 102-103 of the regs, so that would be two peoples limits ;).

P.S. Fillet those Trout and leave the skin, try it for bait next time you are out, you will/should never eat Stockers again. 6 Trout?

Last edited:
D

daehleets

Congrates, good day on the bay fer sure!

C

Coastaldweller

Nice catch! I hope you're using the staghorns for crab bait though.

K

Kevinb5688

Ya staghorns are crab bait, and there was 3 of us fishing. Trout were a time killer and my gf's dad wanted them.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Just throw one Stag in the smoker and try it, come on, it can't hurt...... Well, maybe your smoker. Nonetheless, that is a damn healthy Greenling next to that big Bass.

K

Kevinb5688

Just throw one Stag in the smoker and try it, come on, it can't hurt...... Well, maybe your smoker. Nonetheless, that is a damn healthy Greenling next to that big Bass.
Ya i caught that big greenling:) i started to cut a stag just to see what there meat looks like, and i found out what little meat is in there tail area is really dark. So crab meat it is.

C_Run

C_Run

Ages ago, I and my kid fishing buddies mistakenly thought cabezon were just another form of "bullhead" (as in closely related to those staghorns) so we just threw them back. Ever since I found out they were good to eat, I've never caught another one. That looks like a fine pile of fish. Way to go.

K

Kevinb5688

regardless if you use them for crab bait or whatever, those staghorns will indeed count in a persons rockfish limit

Yep i know, but with theree guys and an hour left to fish when we caught them figured good time to get crab bait. We had a lot of room left for 3person limits

C

christopherbeebe

man i cannot wait to get back out that way and get back fishing in the saltwater. saltwater runs through my veins I've been deprived far too long lol

K

Kevinb5688

Well i took the boat out around the jetty again today. Me,my dad, and father in law. We caught probably 40 rock bass, some nice size some small we let go. I caught a lincod 1 inch shy of keeper size on a 1oz white jig. I also caught a greenling and had a lingcod latch on to it as i was reeling it it, he let go right before we got him netted. Caught a nice cabezon and threw back about 20 bull head. I will post pics tomorow but im tired now.
I think i am going to buy stock in berkly, there gulp alive shrimp killed the bass, couldnt catch one on a real sandshrimp or shrimp. Had a gulp on one hook and the real deal on the other, the fish always ate the gulp shrimp!

Top Bottom