Gonna go have a peek at the river here locally

plumbertom
plumbertom
this afternoon.
If it looks good. Maybe I'll shake out a spinner in it for a few times.
Don't really expect any action, although the count for steelhead have passed the 1000 mark at the falls last week.
Lots of water for them to turn off in between there and here though.

Troutski
Troutski
Go...

Go...

This is when you hook a record fish, do go... you will be glad you did...

Chuck

Y
Yogidabear
were are these steelhead going??

troutdude
troutdude
I agree w/ Chuck. I'll bet you nail one, or two!

E
eugene1
Yogidabear said:
were are these steelhead going??

Some of them spawn in little fall creek (Lane County).

Troutski
Troutski
Elijah Bristol State Park...

Elijah Bristol State Park...

There are some really fine spots upstream and down from Elijah Bristol State Park just off Hwy 58.. Not to far from town and both Salmon and Steelhead pass right by it...
Not to mention a nice population of Trout....

Chuck

R
rippin fish lips
Most of those fish going over the falls should be santiam bound winters. so if your chasing fish above the falls, you should probably nbe on the santiam

E
eugene1
rippin fish lips said:
Most of those fish going over the falls should be santiam bound winters. so if your chasing fish above the falls, you should probably nbe on the santiam

Not sure if most are heading there, but you're right there is a breeding population in one of the Santiam tribs. I couldn't remember the name of it but I'll look tomorrow. It's similar to the fall creek trib in that it has undamed access for fish.

jamisonace
jamisonace
There are quite a few that go past the Santiam system. It's worthwhile to look elsewhere.

eugene1 said:
Not sure if most are heading there, but you're right there is a breeding population in one of the Santiam tribs. I couldn't remember the name of it but I'll look tomorrow. It's similar to the fall creek trib in that it has undamed access for fish.

plumbertom
plumbertom
This was just a quick run locally to see.
here at the place I usually fish here in town, the water high fast and turbid.
The shoreline for the most part was inaccessible except where I know it to be very shallow even though the water was streaming quite rapidly.
The NWS flow chart listed it at 14+ ft. for yesterday afternoon.
My guess is that above 10 ft. it's not gonna be much chance of me getting down where I'd like to fish, at least along there.
Maybe I'll drive and look at the upriver areas but my poor mobility makes it difficult to get down the bank in most areas.

jamisonace
jamisonace
14 is high. I've caught one fish at that level but I worked a few days for it.

You could probably hit the bank at 11 if it's the spot I'm thinking of.

Go to the dam and fish around the ramp when the water drops a bit. Mobility shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good luck

plumbertom said:
This was just a quick run locally to see.
here at the place I usually fish here in town, the water high fast and turbid.
The shoreline for the most part was inaccessible except where I know it to be very shallow even though the water was streaming quite rapidly.
The NWS flow chart listed it at 14+ ft. for yesterday afternoon.
My guess is that above 10 ft. it's not gonna be much chance of me getting down where I'd like to fish, at least along there.
Maybe I'll drive and look at the upriver areas but my poor mobility makes it difficult to get down the bank in most areas.

plumbertom
plumbertom
jamisonace said:
14 is high. I've caught one fish at that level but I worked a few days for it.

You could probably hit the bank at 11 if it's the spot I'm thinking of.

Go to the dam and fish around the ramp when the water drops a bit. Mobility shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good luck
I've been there and while I can get to the water there it gets very tiring trying to move up or down the bank over those rocks.
Time will tell what this season brings for me.
I'm hoping to get my grandson a bit more interested.
Putting him on the fish is the best way I can do that.