Going to Wickiup, this weekend

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
No, got him on a worm, like I said. Had one small bump on that streamer, but that was it.

Good to see you did well after having those fish break off on you. I tried Crane Prairie on Sunday but no luck...wind was blowing much harder than on Saturday.

F
flipper
Thuggin4Life said:
just to hard to go after my favorite trout during my favorite time of the year when the tidal water are full of chinook.

Better watch out, the rain is coming and I'm out to getcha!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Sinkline said:
The question about the streamer was just to clue ya who I was that day. ;)

Crane is tough in the Fall. Not like in the early 80s when ya could catch 20"+ fish right near Browns Mountain ramp in October. Sure miss Crane of old. :(

Randy

Yeah, but I wanted to hit Crane at least once while it was still open. ( I never did get there earlier this year. ) Not so sure, I would have done any better in THAT wind, regardless.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Went back to Wick yesterday, the Deschutes arm again, and was surprised to find I had the place practically to myself; the fishing conditions were perfect, no wind at all--it was like a pond out there, with temps just a little on the cool side. I ended up with a 17" Brown ( let him go ) and two 15" and 19" rainbows ( Those I kept. )

I also hooked into something huge, ( I assume ) that broke off after a thirty minute fight; never got a look at him, but I'm a assuming he was a Brown, since he kept diving for the bottom, again and again. The whole time I had him on, I had the sinking feeling that I'd bitten off more than I could chew with this fish. I could barely get him to move, even when he wasn't fighting me.

As I understand it, that's not an uncommon experience on Wickiup

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Nice! I love Wickiup this time of year! Thanks for sharing.

S
steelhead_slayer
No_Bad_Skunks said:
I also hooked into something huge, ( I assume ) that broke off after a thirty minute fight; never got a look at him, but I'm a assuming he was a Brown, since he kept diving for the bottom, again and again. The whole time I had him on, I had the sinking feeling that I'd bitten off more than I could chew with this fish. I could barely get him to move, even when he wasn't fighting me.
that still has to feel good. were you using a fly rod or spinning outfit?

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
steelhead_slayer said:
that still has to feel good. were you using a fly rod or spinning outfit?

Spinning outfit. I was trolling with a worm/slip sinker rig. And you're right, it felt very good.

And besides...a beautiful fall day on Wickiup, no crowds, and the fish are hitting. How can that not be good day?

This is going to be my last trip to Wick for this year. ( I want to try and get to Diamond before it closes. )