(Frustrated) fly fishing on Trilium

F
flyonthehood
So, many months of following the board, I decided to join the community and post something. I have been fishing as long as I can remember, and despite all my knowledge, I can't for the life of me catch anything at Trillium Lake. I took my family there this past weekend, day was not to warm, water temp was normal for this time of year. Started off rod n reel fishing at about 4pm, and then switched to fly rod about 6:30pm till 8pm as the hatch started to come out. I have fished many of the lakes and streams in my area with no problems at least hooking 1 fish, When I hit Trillium, its like the Lake is sterile. I know I'm not the only one with this frustration in fishing such a beautiful area, but I gotta ask, is there something that I'm missing? Anyone got any great tips or tricks?

Gear
Okuma 3pc 5wt
SA Aircell Line
Rio Tippet
Assorted Lake Flies (duns, masquitos, black flies, flying ants, water skimmers, etc...)

• Mt_Hood_BW_2.jpg
P
perfectg03
flyonthehood said:
So, many months of following the board, I decided to join the community and post something. I have been fishing as long as I can remember, and despite all my knowledge, I can't for the life of me catch anything at Trillium Lake. I took my family there this past weekend, day was not to warm, water temp was normal for this time of year. Started off rod n reel fishing at about 4pm, and then switched to fly rod about 6:30pm till 8pm as the hatch started to come out. I have fished many of the lakes and streams in my area with no problems at least hooking 1 fish, When I hit Trillium, its like the Lake is sterile. I know I'm not the only one with this frustration in fishing such a beautiful area, but I gotta ask, is there something that I'm missing? Anyone got any great tips or tricks?

Gear
Okuma 3pc 5wt
SA Aircell Line
Rio Tippet
Assorted Lake Flies (duns, masquitos, black flies, flying ants, water skimmers, etc...)

You are set up wrong and using the wrong flies. When lake fishing mid summer you need to think early early morning and late afternoon/evening. Get yourself a type II intermediate line. It will sink around 2'' per second, they are pretty spendy, I prefer the Rio lake series. You want to build a longer leader for trolling flies, think 12-15' and I prefer fluorocarbon.

For wet flies you should go get as many carey specials, crystal buggers, cascade special, damsel nymphs, black wolly bugger, and a wide assortment of chronomids (you fish these with a floating line under an indicator.)

Any dry will usually work during low light hours when fish are rising.

I have 27 years of fly fishing experience

F
flyonthehood
Thanks for the tips, I'm willing to spend the money on the right gear as needed, I only started fly fishing about a year ago, and have enjoyed every minute, I admit I'm a n00b when it comes to this, and am willing to learn everything I can. I have yet to try a sinking line for lake fishing, and guess its time to invest in a second cartridge for my reel and get a lake setup going. I really enjoy all the information everyone provides on this forum. Thanks!! :dance:

J
JeannaJigs
You don't need a sinking line for that lake. I have never ever used it. It might be effective if you fish lakes exclusively, but if you're fishing streams and lakes, just use a floating line with a long leader and some small splitshot, no point spending money on a sinking line if you're not exclusively fishing stillwater. Troll those buggers slowwww. I have only used black crystal wooly buggers and carey specials and have done well there, though I have only fished this lake a handful of times during our annual trillium get together.

O
OnTheFly
I agree. As long as you can get your fly below the surface, preferably just above the top of the weeds, you'll be golden. My goto fly for Trillium is a # 10 Peacock Carey Special followed by a black crystal bugger with red or green flash. Olive ones work pretty well too. Stay away from Trillium in mid summer unless you fish early in the morning then out by 11:00. Otherwise you'll be clustered with swimmers. BTW, you can pick up a line of intermediate sink Cortland Camo for around 50 or 60 bucks. Well worth the investment if you lake fish.

The picture was from last years Trillium trip of a display of our catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
P
perfectg03
You can never have to many lines, also you will get much better presentation with an intermediate sinking line in lakes. While floating lines will work you will see a significant increase in action with the correct lines for the correct water. I carry multiple spools of different weight lines.

I think its the spey fisherman in me, but I spend more money on lines, sink tips, etc...than anything else. Presentation is everything if you want to catch big fish, anyone can catch dinkers (they are agressive and stupid). Once you get good a fly fishing the challenge of big fish is what you will seek. The people above offer great suggestions, but in my experience fly fishing, which is just about 30 years I have found that having the right gear is everything if you want quality fish and a better experience.

J
JeannaJigs
Yes disregard my entire post.

Im a lowly gear tosser that knows nothing of quality fish and lack the holier than thou fly gear superiority complex. I should retire my crappy cabelas fly rod, I didn't spend a small fortune on it.

P
perfectg03
Didn't discredit your post, I even mentioned that what you said was good info. Just offering the suggestion of spending some money on lines to increase odds of better presentation and better fish. I have a boat and do my fair share of gear fishing (probably more than most on this site), salmon and steelhead, there is no holier than thou here! I choose not to fish for trout/pan fish or anything small with gear because its not as much fun, plain and simple. I never called you a lowly gear tosser.

Shouldn't hate on someone because they have nice gear, there is a good chance they worked hard to earn the gear they have. I started with Cabela's and worked my way to Loomis. As you get better, your gear gets better.

B
bigthackara
The name on your fly rod doesn't cast, mend or send the hook. You do. While I agree that it makes sense to have an intermediate line for lakes. Become a better fly fisherman does not coincide with more expensive gear, is just asinine.....

Too have a spey rod to cast more line. Or a smaller rod for a little creek. That makes sense. I hate when people act like they catch more fish because the name on the rod. Clearly presentation, knowledge experience have nothing to do with it.

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
Yes disregard my entire post.

Im a lowly gear tosser that knows nothing of quality fish and lack the holier than thou fly gear superiority complex. I should retire my crappy cabelas fly rod, I didn't spend a small fortune on it.

wow:rolleyes:

P
perfectg03
Presentation is exactly my point, so I am unsure what you are saying when you type "Clearly presentation, knowledge, experience have nothing to do with it". It's not the rod that catches fish, its the fisherman. I have been fly fishing since I was in diapers. I started out using the worst gear you could imagine, even used it up until I was in my early 20's because that is all I could afford. After learning the in's and outs of fly fishing I quickly realized to be able to get effective presentations in certain situations you need the right gear. When I suggest going out and buying everything under the sun it's because as your skill increases your technique changes and you need different stuff for different circumstances. I have a different rod for nearly every kind of water imaginable, call me "Asinine" or whatever but my success will make you wonder why you aren't set up the same way.

As your skills increase the gear increases, plain and simple.