Fly swap ( 1st of 2011)

F
FishFiddle
Hey FishFinger, what is the dubbing on your caddis variant? Or is it a special mixture? Looks good!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
yeah the body looks segmented (of course, per a caddis) is that a chenille wrap?

F
FishFinger
FishFiddle said:
Hey FishFinger, what is the dubbing on your caddis variant? Or is it a special mixture? Looks good!

I'm using Hareline, Hare Tron black dubbing right out of the bag.

GraphiteZen said:
yeah the body looks segmented (of course, per a caddis) is that a chenille wrap?

The abdomen is amber vinyl ribbing over a gold tinsel under body.

Something you can't see in that picture is an additional dubbing with wisps of fine white yarn over the length of the vinyl, creating the abdominal gills. I'll get a better picture up. With the correct lighting it glows, real buggy like. When it's dry you can see the yarns white haze, but when wet the yarn goes transparent and develops a bluish ghostly cast.

I'm looking forward to trying more abdominal yarn wraps with other color combos. I found this vid YouTube - EPflies Tip 4: Dubbing Loop(**) and like a brick to the head, I see stars........... and new potentials..lol

I have a new pattern on the brain, If "materials" continue pan out and preform like I need them to; I have one I'm gonna call either.... the "Gilli-gan" or the "Little buddy". We'll do a poll when I post it up.

(**)you don't need a rotary vise to loop dub (imho), one can always cut the bobbin free, do the dub wraps and then tie in the thread once again to finish. and I made a turbo dubbin tool with a short length of 7/16' dowel and bent up some .025 spinner wire. 5 mins & $.30.. Woot woot

E
eggs
In the mail.. chould have em tomorrow!

G
Growbug
I just got a package returned to me, damaged, with NO flys left in it... ARGGGGHHHHHHH

So.. i will have to start again.

F
FishFiddle
Growbug said:
I just got a package returned to me, damaged, with NO flys left in it... ARGGGGHHHHHHH

Mailed mine today, really glad that I insured them after reading this.

J
joesnuffy
Growbug said:

that is crap!!!

G
Growbug
yeah... Jiffy bag thing, almost rip proof. inside was a ziplock with flys in seperate little bags. the padded bag was punctured and then the puncture looks like it 'spontaneously expanded' into a rather curious rip. I have no idea how the large ziplock got out of the 4" rip.

J
joesnuffy
sounds pretty fishy to me. (no pun intended)

F
FishFinger
Wow Growbug, that really sucks. we are getting close to wrapping this up, if you don't think you can get them done, no worries. Let me know and I can send any extra flies back. Don't feel jammed here, if you can't get them in it's ok; it's happened on more than a few other swaps.

My dog honestly "ate" my custom dubbing blend for my "egg pooping leach" jig. I dropped out of that swap, and I have not tied a "egg pooping leach" since......

However, I have had the opportunity to preview these as the come in.... And, they are stunning. We have some very skilled tiers in our ranks. It would be a shame to miss out on this.

G
Growbug
I still have a week or two.. and i can get them to you.

J
joesnuffy
i agree with FF. if you can't get em done again I'd agree with sending the flys that were meant for you anyways. But if you feel like retying go for it :)

O
OnTheFly
joesnuffy said:
i agree with FF. if you can't get em done again I'd agree with sending the flys that were meant for you anyways. But if you feel like retying go for it :)
FORGET THAT!!! I want some of those olive bead eyed damsel flys! Seriously Rob, unless you're tying flies before 8:30pm at night don't sweat it. I get a little gunji eyed about that time and I start forgetting how to tie anymore.

L
lilsalmon
hmmmmmm.....there is an empty spot next to my name....you will have them by Monday....I hope....JK

L
lilsalmon
:dance: Done!!!! Sorry it took so long but, hey, I am a newbie.....remember I said I was tying elk hair caddis? lets just call them Rose's special...hehe. The good thing about hand tied is that each one is different and unique, right? I like constructive criticism as long as you say with a small grin....I got myself into this swap with some really great tyers so I hope mine at least last 2 casts.......They will be in the mail early in the morning. Still can't post pics, that is why I didn't put one here.........

F
FishFinger
I hit the post office this morning and got everyone's flies on the return trip. you should see them shortly.

B
bigsteel
FishFinger said:
I hit the post office this morning and got everyone's flies on the return trip. you should see them shortly.
:clap::clap::clap:

E
eggs
Sweeeet Tuesday will be christmas!

F
FishFinger
I posted the images on the first page of the thread.

B
bigsteel
Awesome,we have some nice flies to showcase for everyone.excellent job to everybody